Friday, February 20, 2009

weights on Friday; other RW thoughts

Today I biked for 5 minutes to warm up for weight training, and then basically did my hip PT exercises plus bench press, lateral raises, and abs.

When I got home, I wanted to do a little more, so I plopped the kids in front of the SuperReaders on PBS, and I racewalked/ran 2.05 miles on the treadmill in about 22 minutes. I racewalked almost the whole time, at 5.5 mph and 0.5% or 1% incline. I threw in three 40-second runs at 6.5 mph as part of my physical therapy.

No, I am not planning on running a lot. Yes, I am doing some running. The reason I need to run a little is that the new team has a few faster runners who would like to do the marathon at 8:30-9:00/mile pace. I can racewalk that fast for only short distances, and only if I am huffing and puffing. I would not be able to be a very good coach if I couldn't talk w/them while I racewalked with them! So, I plan to run a little on Saturdays just while I am with those faster runners, and only so that I can talk with them without sounding like I am dying and out of breath. It's no problem to run at an 8:30-9:00/mile pace for me; in fact, I feel pretty sure that it would take a 7:30/mile run to make me as out of breath as I'd get from a 9:00/mile racewalk. An easy pace running is usually about 9:00/mile, and I think if I were trying to run a marathon I might shoot for that pace.

My physical therapist said it would be fine for me to run a little, as long as I work up to it carefully (since we think the running might have set off my IT band injury). He recommended throwing in those 30-60 second running intervals into my RW workouts, adding more and more until I am running 10 minutes total (in 30-60 second increments). If I have no pain, I can then start doing 2 minute intervals, but back down to 6 minutes total, and slowly increase from there. Ideally I will be able to run a few minutes w/the team members pretty soon if I follow this progression. So far, so good - I ran yesterday and today, and no trouble. Yay!

The only question remaining is how bad is it for me to run in my RW shoes? I will be wearing RW shoes for the team workouts, and though I do use my motion control inserts in them, I'm not sure how my body will take the added impact of running. I could wear my running shoes and tie my RW shoes around my waist, but for long workouts that will be a total drag. So for now I just plan to run in my RW shoes and hope for the best.

***

In other racewalking thoughts, a few have commented (both online and offline friends) that I should try to make the 1:48:00 20K standard for the 2012 Olympic Trials. While I would love to do this, and nothing would make me more thrilled than qualifying to compete in the Olympics, I just do not see it as a realistic goal. Using the age grade calculator on the North American RW Foundation website, I'd have to be able to do about a 25:10 5K to have a shot at making a 1:48:00 20K. 2 summers ago, in 2007, I did a 28:53 5K. Last summer, I improved to a 28:36 5K, with much training and hard effort. I feel like I *might* have a 27:59 5K in me, maybe... but I truly doubt I can go faster than that, which pretty much puts a 1:48:00 20K out of the question. However, I do not want to say I can't do it; I just think it rather unlikely. IF my 5K time ever drops close to 26:00 or better, then I will consider this possibility more strongly. But if not, well, I'm not going to dream about something that unlikely.

4 comments:

Harriet said...

Actually, I do have a friend who, eons ago, did improve from a time such as yours to break 25 minutes at an officially judged race.

But you have to focus on what you enjoy doing, of course. ;-)

Congratulations on having people mention that to you as a realistic goal though!

Elizabeth Richardson said...

Tammy, being one who thinks 2012 Trials is possible for you . . . Of course, it would mean hard work, but it IS 3 years away. Look how far you've come in 18 months? Keep in mind, too, that if those runners plan on an 8:30/9:00 race, their long day should be at no faster than 9:30/10:00.

Tammy said...

Yes, the runners should take it easy on their long day. I will tell them to do that, but they will probably start off too fast anyway, and I with them :). I can RW 10:00 pace and talk, though it's not really an easy pace. Would be easier just to run with them if I can.

Unknown said...

Go for it! What have you got to lose?

As for the running in RW shoes....I personally wouldn't advise it. The support just isn't there and you might end up injuring yourself somehow.