Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Day 29: 40 days 'til 39

Today's item was to read a new prayer or check out some readings from the Book of Common Prayer or other prayer book. Loren was raised in the Episcopal Church, so he has an affinity for the Book of Common Prayer. I read a few prayers from it online, and here are some that I appreciated. The prayer for church musicians is an obvious choice, since I am one :). The Nicene Creed is one of my favorite prayers that we regularly use in our worship service at New Song. A friend at church made a really artistic version and printed it on T-shirts with our church logo, and I love it - now one of my favorite shirts. There is just something about the Nicene Creed that touches me; I feel like it is such a great summary of the teaching of the Bible on what we as Christians believe about God (especially the person of the Son), and it reflects the shared beliefs of Christians worldwide.

For Church Musicians and Artists


O God, whom saints and angels delight to worship in
heaven: Be ever present with your servants who seek through
art and music to perfect the praises offered by your people on
earth; and grant to them even now glimpses of your beauty,
and make them worthy at length to behold it unveiled for
evermore; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Nicene Creed

I believe in one God,
the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
and of all things visible and invisible;

And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the only-begotten Son of God,
begotten of his Father before all worlds,
God of God, Light of Light,
very God of very God,
begotten, not made,
being of one substance with the Father;
by whom all things were made;
who for us men and for our salvation
came down from heaven,
and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary,
and was made man;
and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered and was buried;
and the third day he rose again according to the Scriptures,
and ascended into heaven,
and sitteth on the right hand of the Father;
and he shall come again, with glory,
to judge both the quick and the dead;
whose kingdom shall have no end.

And I believe in the Holy Ghost the Lord, and Giver of Life,
who proceedeth from the Father and the Son;
who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped
and glorified;
who spake by the Prophets.
And I believe one holy Catholic and Apostolic Church;
I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins;
and I look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

1 comment:

Kale said...

Hey Tammy this is actually in response to a comment you left on my blog I figured you would actually see it if I left it here anyway....I am going to be there on Saturday. I don't have time to do the 16 miles any other time so I worked it out with Michelle to work on Friday and after the workout on Saturday. Plus I got lunch donated so I think they will be cool with me not being there most of Saturday. I will bring you your card on Saturday. See you there!!! Wahoo