Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Duh!

This is kinda funny. While racewalking a mile on the treadmill at the Cliff Spa at Snowbird on Sunday, I wondered why my heart rate was so high for the effort. It was running about 152-153 at 5.5 mph. At home, I'd have about 140 bpm for that effort on a treadmill (though less outside, which is a bit odd since treadmills are supposed to give you an assist, but that's another topic). Anyway, I had to back it off to 5.2-5.3 mph because the 5.5 was just harder than I wanted to go. I puzzled over it but didn't think too much about it.

Last night while falling asleep, the answer hit me like a ton of bricks. DUH! The elevation at the Cliff Spa is about 7800 feet. My house is about 4375 feet or so. Hmmm, I guess that explains things :).

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Yes it does. You should have seen me at Park City in 2001; at that time I could run a 42 minute 10K but had to bust a gusset to average 9 minute miles on the rails to trails course.

Swimming was a riot too; I was struggling to do 100s on the 2 whereas at sea level 100s on the 1:45 wasn't that hard.

Oh yes, I walked a 5:18 at the Park City Marathon in 2003; in those days my typical time was about 10-15 minutes faster.