Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pain again :(

I felt fine this morning and was rarin' to go and tackle my interval workout on the treadmill (snowing this morning so the outdoor track wasn't going to happen). I did a 0.95 mile warm-up, stretched carefully (including the foam roller), and started in on my 400m (0.25 mile) intervals, at 6.5 mph (5K pace, or about a 9:15 mile). I was doing the intervals with 1' rest in between. I had no noticeable problems at all (not even tight!) until the 5th interval, when my IT band started hurting a LOT. I stopped and stretched and was able to get back on and at least cool down for a few minutes. Total workout distance 2.85 miles in 31:xx.

I have no idea why this is happening again - I was wearing my shoe inserts and my IT band strap. I have been doing my PT. I did speed work last week and it was no problem, so why now? Well, I guess the answer is that I am just not 100% yet for whatever reason and I will have to take a few days off again. I have PT tonight and will ask my PT what he thinks. This is very frustrating.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

I hate to tell you this Tammy, but my injury experience has told me that injury recovery is almost never linear and almost never constant.

It is "two steps forward, one step back", then "three steps forward, one back", etc.

EVERY injury (rotator cuff, achilles, piriformis, knee, ankle, hamstring) I've had has acted this way.

Expect this injury to dog you for some time, and if you get lax on your stretching routine, it will let you know.

My guess is that you are NOT back to square one.