Thursday, February 26, 2009

Day 30: 40 days 'til 39

I was supposed to do this yesterday, but time got away from me. Better late than never!

40 things about my family that I am thankful for:

1. Loren's job - that he likes it and is able to do it well. If I could, all 40 would be about this, because the last 4 years he's had it have been wonderful.
2. My mom really enjoys being with the kids (I love this a lot right now because she's here visiting and helping me!).
3. Calvin is creative and clever.
4. Michelle is very cute when she counts (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 :)!).
5. Michelle is snuggly and likes to be rocked.
6. Calvin is pretty smart, and he can already write his name and several words.
7. Loren is great with the kids, and they adore him.
8. Loren is a wonderful listener.
9. My dad is a go-to guy about home improvement issues. He knows how to do everything and is more than happy to share it with us.
10. Loren is willing to try to fix most small home-repair jobs and does a good job at it.
11. Loren enjoys a good soak in the jetted tub as much as (or more than) I do.
12. Calvin and Michelle both like music and enjoy Kindermusik classes.
13. My children have the most beautiful blue eyes ever (I'm not biased or anything :)).
14. Calvin is curious about the world we live in and interested in the universe at large; he's currently fascinated with the planets in our solar system.
15. Michelle knows her ABCs, for the most part.
16. Michelle gives me the cutest looks and has a wonderful variety of facial expressions.
17. Calvin and Michelle are both really good sleepers and rarely wake during the night. They were even good sleepers as babies.
18. Loren is very supportive of my racewalking habit (this is a big one!) even though he is a couch potato.
19. Calvin and Michelle both already have an interest in racewalking, though they don't yet quite get how to do it :). Calvin thinks running with bent arms and exaggerated arm swing = racewalking. Very cute!
20. My parents were always there for me growing up, and provided a stable home for me and my brother.
21. My parents have been married for almost 44 years and have stuck by each other through thick and thin.
22. Loren's mom is so great with our kids, and even though she can't visit often (she works full-time), she is a joy to have around. How many can say that about their mother-in-law?
23. My brother is an avid runner and has lots of great training tips to share with me.
24. My brother recently married a wonderful woman who is perfect for him.
25. I've always been very close to my brother and we enjoy each other's company; we did fight a lot as little kids, but we played a lot too.
26. My parents took us a lot of places when we were kids. I still love to travel!
27. Loren loves to read, and we can discuss books together.
28. Loren also loves movies and introduces me to good movies I'd never watch otherwise.
29. Loren likes to think deeply about things and is a great person to talk to when I am wrestling with a tough issue or just want to discuss something complex.
30. My parents encouraged me a lot in my musical pursuits.
31. My parents encouraged me in academic pursuits as well.
32. Michelle is a fighter and survived a bout with pneumonia and 10 days in the NICU as a newborn.
33. Michelle is adventurous and will try anything.
34. Michelle loves to eat and try new foods.
35. Calvin is cautious and doesn't take unnecessary risks (a good trait for a guy, I think!).
36. Calvin loves books.
37. Michelle loves books too.
38. My parents taught me how to be responsible at a young age.
39. Loren enjoys eating good food :) and we love trying new restaurants together.
40. Loren has put up with my quirks for 15 years and counting, and still loves me.

1 comment:

Hunca Munca said...

I liked reading this. I share a lot of these thoughts with you, especially about having grown up in a stable home with parents who stayed married and did a good job being there for us. There is not much that can replace that, if it's not there. Oh yes, and your children really do have beautiful blue eyes! :-)