Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mon & Tues workouts; good news

Monday - I was going to do 12 miles, with the last 3 at half marathon pace. Well, that didn't happen. I decided to do it during nap time, since Loren was off for President's Day. That was apparently a mistake. I know I didn't eat the right things before I went, either. Suffice it to say that after 3.75 I was very nauseous and almost quit (I was doing loops near my house). I decided I could have some water, rest a minute, and continue. I figured I could for sure at least DO 3.9 miles more (the next loop), even if I had to walk slowly for part of it. I did finish the 2nd loop, and I did have to walk slowly for a while. Still, I finished the 7.65 in 1:26:31 for an 11:19 pace. Slow, but not as slow as I thought I was.

Tuesday - Normally I wouldn't do intervals after a long day, but since I aborted my workout yesterday and didn't do the full 12, I figured I was good for some intervals. I was! I did a one mile warm-up on the treadmill at 5.5 mph, stretched my IT bands carefully, and hopped back on for 6 x 800m (0.5 mile) at 6.3 mph each (10K pace; I was going to do 5K pace but was worried about my IT band flaring up - so I compromised by setting the incline at 0.5% instead of 0% to make it a little harder). After the 4th interval, I was getting pretty tired, so I wimped out and lowered the incline to 0% and finished the workout that way. In between intervals, I walked at 3 mph until my HR in was in the 120s - 1:10 to 2:35. My HR ave for the 6 intervals was 152, 158, 160, 163, 163, 163 (funny, those last few FELT worse than that; max was 162-173 for the 6 intervals). Time was about 4:44 for each interval. This was a good, hard workout. I was really feeling it at the end. Happily, I had no IT band pain at all.

***

Good news! The scale finally moved! I had lost 2.2 lb at my weigh-in last night at Weight Watchers. To get it to move, I had to cut back my daily points to 19 per day, eat no more than 4 of my activity points for 5 of the 7 days (the other 2 days I was allowed to eat them all), and eat no more than 20 of my 35 weekly points allowance (I only at 15 of it). I am going to repeat this number and hopefully will continue to lose. 2.2 lb seems a bit high for one week - I think I had been losing the previous weeks (I had been eating right) but that I was retaining some water. I am shooting for 0.4-0.5 lb loss per week for the next 5 weeks. We made new goals last night in class, and by March 23 I want to lose 2.0 more lb. I have some sleep goals (to bed by 9:30-10 pm most nights) and some eating goals (the points listed above) that will help me get there. The Portland-To-Coast and Portland Marathon races in August and October beckon, and I WILL be ready, as much as it depends on me.

No comments: