Saturday, January 05, 2008

Wet workout

Last night the Wasatch Walkers had a meeting, and we got our new jackets! Yay! I should post a pic, but that might involve getting my lazy behind off of the couch. Maybe I'll do that later. I'm watching the Seahawks and Redskins game with Loren right now, and don't want to move.

Anyway, the new jackets are great. I put it to the test this morning, as it was pouring rain when I started walking. About 10 min into the workout, it changed into snow, and accumulated at least an inch during my short 40 minute walk. My feet got pretty wet, but not too cold. My upper body stayed nice & dry, thanks to the superb microfiber jacket. It repelled the rain and the snow, and when I got inside and hung it up, the water just dripped off, and 10 minutes later I was able to put it on to go to my Weight Watchers meeting! It was dry! My hat and gloves were not. I think I will need to get a decent pair of gloves for wet weather. Any recommendations? I have some ski gloves for when it's really cold, gore-tex, and those are great, but I could use a lighter pair for when it's raining.

The Weight Watchers meeting was good. I needed to be there and see my friends and get some encouragement. I gained a whopping 3.6 lb (that's by my official weigh-in) in 2 weeks. Yikes. I knew it was bad, but again, it's just scary that I could gain that much when I was actually exercising a moderate amount of self-control, along with exercising a lot. I have set new goals, though, and I'm ready to roll. I have a 10 week goal to stay within my points (20 for weight loss now), follow my 1/2 marathon training plan (which starts tomorrow), and a few other things. If I achieve my goal, I get some $ towards Dave's racewalking clinic in July, which I really want to attend. If I don't get the extra $, I won't be able to go, so I'm definitely going to work hard on these goals. It's a good challenge to have something to strive for. It will help to achieve these goals, because that will mean that I'm more ready for big races this summer.

I was a bit down before the meeting, but being there and getting a pep talk from Sarah P (I know a lot of Sarahs!) was very helpful. She talked some sense into me and helped me remember that just because I had a bit of a slide does NOT mean that I have regressed totally. I am NOT the same person I was almost 3 years ago when I joined Weight Watchers!

No comments: