Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Weighty matters

This column is NOT helpful, in my opinion. In summary, Robin Blumner opines that it's basically a waste of time to try to lose more than 10-20 lbs, because weight is genetically determined. This makes me incredibly angry, because she is going to discourage a ton of people from even bothering to try to do something about their weight. That is a travesty, in our country of overweight and obese people.

I do admit there is truth in the article. It is true that there are genetic influences on one's weight, and they can be strong and hard to resist. Fat does run in my family, and I know that it is easy for me to overeat because I don't recognize the "full" feeling as soon as my thin friends (this is quite possibly genetic). And a VERY small minority of the population does have conditions that make weight loss much harder than it is for most people.

I certainly agree that dieting is an American obsession, and a pretty useless one. But the article fails to mention the obvious solution: lifestyle change. Yes, it's an uphill battle. Yes, it's hard. But it CAN be done.

Blumner puts a lot of weight (pun intended) on the metabolism argument. That is, if you are fat and diet, your metabolism will slow down. It is true that if you cut back calories too far, your metabolic rate slows. But even though she discounts it, the bottom line really still is calories in minus calories out. If you cut back your calories too much, you will still lose weight. I don't recommend it, because you won't lose a lot faster than if you cut back sensibly. You will feel deprived, and that might lead to bingeing. However, your fastest rate of weight loss is achieved by a sensible lifestyle change that cuts back calories enough to lose maybe 1 lb per week (certainly not more than 2 lb per week). Trimming calories this much will not cause a metabolic dive! Finally, if you want to lose weight and keep your metabolism going strong, exercise (specifically strength training) will help a lot. Metabolic rate is highly dependent on your % lean body mass, because muscle tissue burns more calories than fat.

My conclusion? You CAN lose weight, even if you have a lot to lose, and even if you are fighting genetic predisposition to fat. Change your eating habits SENSIBLY, do not deprive yourself, and find an activity you like. Burn more calories than you take in, and you will be healthier and happier. I know.

6 comments:

Harriet said...

Tammy, the sad fact is that about 5% of the morbidly obese keep it off for 5 years or more.

I know of someone else; yes, he is a distance runner.

Just be grateful that you are an exception, and that it takes constant vigilance to remain an exception. :-)

Tammy said...

Ollie, of course you are right that it's hard to maintain weight loss. I suppose that I should keep my mouth shut because I have only maintained my weight loss for a little over a year now, and I could gain it back if I let up my vigilance.

All that being said, I still think it's wrong to write an article telling people not to bother. If I had listened to those voices, I'd still be miserably unhappy today.

MLJ said...

I agree with Tammy. I think a better way to look at it is that the level of vigilance necessary to maintain a healthy weight is genetically determined. I now weigh 25 pounds less than I did almost 2 years ago. I have kept the weight off by paying attention to the quantity and composition of the food I eat. I don't count calories per se, but during the weight loss period, which was a steady 1-2 lbs/week, I did count calories, and got used to knowing how much I could eat. I step on that scale once or twice a week now to ensure that I'm holding steady. I stay active with various forms of exercise, but the key to weight loss is a healthy relationship with food that is lifetime. Dieting doesn't produce lasting results unless you can re-learn that food should not be eaten as a crutch, for comfort, or out of boredom.

Well, that's enough ranting, but I'd also like to point out that adult American obesity has finally stopped rising, although it is still at a shocking 30% (and that doesn't count overweight, but not obese). Sadly, obesity in childhood is still on the rise, so unless something changes, the adult numbers will go up again.

Keep it up Tammy!

Harriet said...

Tammy, let me make it clear: I am on your side, and I assume you know that I was once 320 pounds, right?

(I've been my current size for 12 years now)

What sometimes gets me is when one says the kind of thing that you said in your blog, some despairing fat people will go on and on that you "hate fat people" and that there is nothing wrong with being fat.

So, thank you for speaking out.

You know that I agree with you, right?

Tammy said...

Ollie,

I do know you lost a lot of weight. Didn't know how much, just that it was a lot. I was up to 250 myself, which is a lot when you're 5'8". My BMI was 38, which isn't morbidly obese but pretty darn close to it.

I guess I wasn't sure you agreed with me, so thanks for clarifying that :).

Ah, yes, the "you hate fat people" argument. You're right, Ollie, that some people will think I am saying that. My response? I WAS FAT myself and I do not hate fat people, because I certainly remember what it was like. It wasn't that long ago. I seek to have an attitude of compassion toward fat people, and IF they ask for my advice/assistance/2 cents, then I'll gladly reach out to them. I currently mentor several in my Weight Watchers meeting.

As for the "fat is not bad for you" argument, I just want to say that it is completely ridiculous from a scientific standpoint. Not only that, but you will feel SO much better if you take off the weight! Really! 'Nuff said.

Hunca Munca said...

Great post Tammy! Well written.

Have you thought about sending this (or a version of it) to the Tribune in response?