Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Turning a corner?

Today I did a really hard interval workout. What was interesting was that my LEGS were burning and aching before my lungs were. Usually, my wind gives out before my leg muscles do. I wonder if I finally am in good enough cardiovascular shape to really begin to truly go up against my lactate threshold and make my muscles truly exhausted? Either that or my legs were just really tired today.

Regardless, I was going to do 4 sets of the following but just couldn't fit it in my time slot allotted, so I did 3. That was just as well, since my legs couldn't handle another anyhow! Our track is 211m, and I did sets of 1) 5 laps (1055m) in 6:00, 2) 2 laps (422m) in 2:19, and 3) 1 lap in 1:08. My heart rate was probably in the 170s after each set, and I let it drop to 130-135 before starting again (which didn't take very long! I'm in good shape!). I came pretty close to my goal times for most laps; the 3rd set I only did 6:08 for the 5 laps and 2:24 for the 2 laps, but pulled it together for a 1:07 for the last lap.

I was very tired afterwards but felt glad I'd finished all of that. I felt good the rest of the day and don't feel sore (yet!).

No comments: