Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Resting

No workout today; resting the knee. Tried to sleep in this morning (well, until 6:45) but woke at 6:12 and couldn't get back to sleep. Oh well. I am resting the knee today... as much as work will allow. The drive in was simply horrible. What was with the snowplows yesterday? I mean, we didn't get THAT much snow, and the roads are still terrible this morning. Then the sidewalks were horrible here at the U, and my 0.5 mile walk from car to lab was NOT fun. I was slipping and sliding all over, and by the time I got in here, yup, you guessed it, my knee was hurting again. Not as bad as yesterday, but darn it, it was doing better until then.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a griping broken record. I guess I'm just fed up with life this week. I am going to try to have a better attitude today, because even though I don't feel like it, I know it will help.

On the bright side, I started reading Sara's YA novel "Sweethearts", and it's excellent. I'm only about halfway through, but it's really hard to put down. I was up a bit too late reading it, I must confess. I really identify with the main character in the story, as she has lost weight yet is struggling with old eating habits when new stresses come into her life. That's me, especially this week with the knee thing going on. I rely on my activity points to be able to eat enough to not feel deprived, and I'm really scared about what might happen when I don't have them. So far this week it's been a struggle. I'm staying within my points, but it's not easy. Anyway, like Jenna/Jennifer in "Sweethearts", I am wondering who I really am - the old me or the new me? I know I've changed a lot, but I still struggle with the food issues and probably always will. One thing I know for sure: I do not want to go back to who I was before. I was miserable, and the new me knows that it's worth it to put forth the effort to stay thin. Besides, my knee will get better soon hopefully in a week or two) and then I can get back to exercising. See, that's the new me talking - I want to exercise! Definite evidence of change, for which I'm really grateful.

Thanks, Sara, for your book.

2 comments:

Hunca Munca said...

Sorry about your knee. I rely on exercise too - to feel good, eat more that I want, etc. - and I know it sucks not to be able to.

Something about the snow that fell Monday was evil - the roads were worse than I've EVER seen them last night and today. Ugh. And more coming tonight...

I've been having a bummer week too. Our video camera crashed last night and we lost all our Christmas videos with the train table and everything. :-( Boooo.

Hope things start looking up soon.

Sara Z. said...

It's funny - the eating issue is kind of a side issue of the book, and there is no mention of it on the jacket copy or anything, but it was a big part of the writing and making her character. And so personal, too!

Anyway, yeah, the plows. They seemed very few and far between and it is still slush city out there. I'm so ready for this winter to be over!