Sunday, January 27, 2008

hurt

Darn it. I felt totally FINE on my walk yesterday, and fine afterwards. Last night, however, walking around the outdoor mall w/Loren, I had pretty severe pain in my right knee. I have NO idea how I did it, other than that I felt a slight twinge in it Friday morning doing one particular exercise in weight training. Didn't have any other problems Friday or Saturday until Saturday night.

This morning I woke up feeling decent, knee-wise, so decided to try a short walk. I got about 9 minutes out from my house and it really started to hurt. So I turned around and slowly walked back. After a bit, I tried a little running, wondering if that would help. It was a little better than the walking, so I ran most of the way home, but it still hurt.

It's so weird because I have no idea how I did it, really. The good news is that it does seem muscular in nature. I think some rest and anti-inflammatories might do the trick. Meanwhile, for exercise, I will have to see what I can do. I might try the stationary bike (my friend Dorothy who has knee problems swears by biking) or swimming.

How frustrating!!!

***

In other news, I did pick up a copy of Sara's new book last night. I can't make it to her party at The King's English, so I'll have to have her sign it for me another time.

While we were at the Gateway last night, we also wandered into Sur La Table, to spend the gift card that MIL got me for Christmas. That was really fun! I picked out a new garlic press with a removable plate for cleaning, a new colander (mine is a cheap plastic one from Taiwan (literally from Taiwan from 20 years ago when my parents lived there) and it's on its last legs), and a funnel for canning. It was great to get some useful items for cooking.

3 comments:

Harriet said...

Hmmm, what kind of pain?

I found that if I alternate running and racewalking (run one day, racewalk the next), my knees sometimes complain.

Cycling helps, as does doing quad stretches.

Tammy said...

I may try some cycling and see if that will help, but not until tomorrow, because it is just too sore today. The pain is sharp and only happens when I move the leg in certain directions/angles. My husband (who trained in family practice, though he's not in clinical medicine now) thinks maybe tendinitis. I hope it's just a strained muscle that will heal quickly.

Unknown said...

Swimming is great too. You still get the cardio workout, but with less impact on the joints. Or try pool running if you can find a flotation belt somewhere. Hope this isn't anything too serious.