Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sprints... NOT!

I was going to do sprints at the track tonight, to work on my high-end speed. I warmed up and everything felt fine. I did my first 100m sprint and my left leg was really hurting in the quad area. I was worried I had hurt something, but it didn't seem like it was from the sprinting. I did a 200m, and a 300m, and then I stopped to rest, because it was still hurting. I tried one more 100m, but had to give up on the sprinting. I did a bunch more laps at an easy pace, and it loosened up and felt OK, so I did a few accelerations, and it was still fine. My heart rate was pretty high because it was HOT (low 90s) and pretty humid for here. I did 4.5 miles total on the track, in about 50 minutes.

The good news is that while stretching (A LOT) after the workout, I figured out what the problem was. I did a lunge to stretch my left hip flexors, and it REALLY hurt. I realized that the Firm video I did yesterday had a lot of lunges, and apparently I'm not used to them anymore and overdid it (w/o knowing it). So now my left quad is just really really sore, and the sprints brought it to the forefront. At least I know now it's just a tired muscle and that I need to rest it up before another hard workout. I am hoping if I rest it tomorrow that it will be ready for a good hard workout on Thursday. We'll see.

No comments: