Saturday, July 26, 2008

Friday & Saturday walking; recipe :)

Friday - went to Liberty Park at 6 am in case anyone showed up for the club workout; no one did (not surprising the day after the race). Did 3 laps easy for 4.2 miles in 45-ish minutes. Felt pretty good; a little muscle soreness from the race but not bad.

Saturday - due for 8 miles with Team in Training; however, they weren't meeting until 8 am and that schedule wasn't going to work for my family. So I got up at 5:30 and did what I thought was 8 in 1:25 but turns out it was only 7.8. Oops. Got back, showered, and made "Onion Bread Pudding" for the Team in Training potluck. Went to my Weight Watchers meeting, and my husband baked the bread pudding for me while I was there. Got back (weight 146.4; holding pretty steady - wishing I could take off another 1-2 lb but I am just not disciplined enough) and packed up kids and off we went to the potluck. The food was great and we had a pretty good time, but Michelle started to melt down after a while and so we left.

Here's the recipe for the bread pudding (from "The Best of Cooking Light"):

1 Vidalia or other sweet onion,cut into 1/4" thick slices
2c 2% reduced fat milk
1/2 t salt
1/2 t dried thyme
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
2 lg eggs, lightly beaten
8 c cubed French bread (about 8 oz)
3/4 c (3 oz) shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add onion slices (keep slices intact); cook 3 min on each side or until browned.
3. Combine milk, salt, thyme, pepper, and eggs in a large bowl, stirring w/a whisk. Add bread cubes and 1/2 c cheese; toss well. Place bread mixture in an 8-inch square baking dish coated w/cooking spray. Arrange onion slices on top of bread mixture. Sprinkle w/1/4 c cheese. Bake at 425 for 25 min or until set & golden Yield: 4 servings (about 1.5 c per serving). 364 calories, 12.2g fat, 19.7g protein, 43.8g carb, 3.4g fiber, 136 mg chol, 2.1mg iron, 806mg sodium, 294mg calcium. 8 WW points.

I ate 1/2 of a serving and that was plenty - the serving size is VERY generous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did my 12 miler today and immediately downed a whole box of almond cookies that I picked up in china town during my walk...No wonder I'm gaining weight.

Seriously though, you're right, my waist is getting smaller (29") and my arms are bigger, so I guess I'm getting leaner, not fatter. I'm still 8 lbs over my ideal body weight, but thats down from 28 lbs just 3 years ago.

They were offering free fat analysis yesterday at the gym, but I had already worked out and they wont do them on you when your body is warm.

Congrats on your recent races.!

Less than two months till the Nike !

Anonymous said...

Yum! That recipe looks great. I wish we could get videlia onions over here. Somehow I just don't think it would be the same with normal onions.

Thinking of recipes, I seem to recall that you made pear jam last summer. My pear tree is finally producing fruit, but they are falling off the tree even though they are still tiny. They taste good though, so I thought I'd try making jam of them. Any suggestions?