Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hmmm, people actually read this blog

I had no idea that my opinion was so interesting to anyone. I started this blog basically to write about anything and everything, and as I've gotten fit, it's gravitated a lot towards racewalking. Since then, I think I've managed to pick up quite a few readers - or at least become visible on Google. My post a while back about the Snickers Speedwalker Ad seems to have garnered some interest in the advertising community. Cindi Leeman, editor of WALK! magazine, has pointed out to me that Advertising Age (an advertising magazine) picked up on my post in an online article about the ad.

The article says, "What was probably more surprising was the diversity and reach of the outrage. Not only did liberal blogs or blogs maintained by gay men balk, but so did a blogger known only as Tammy, a self-described "amateur racewalker." She posted the video with a headline that read in part "Pathetic Ignorance" and followed with this mini diatribe: "I think I am going to have to boycott Snickers. I very rarely eat them, but I do buy them for my piano students. Not anymore." If it seems the future's bleak for ads in a culture where so many are quite easily offended, a few creatives interviewed weren't particularly worried..."

Wow, I guess I'm "easily offended". Honestly, the ad did irritate me, but it was pretty small irritation on life's Richter scale. The remark I made about boycotting Snickers was only somewhat serious; I am realistic enough to know that racewalkers boycotting Snickers is a laughable proposition. There aren't enough of us to make much of a dent in the M&M Mars empire, and my husband pointed out to me that I'd have to boycott all M&M Mars candy, which I am not really willing to do when it comes right down to it.

All the same, I'm extremely surprised to have my blog quoted in an article like this; such is the reach of the Internet. I have to say it does make me think twice about what I post here. But not too much :). It's still MY blog and I'm going to enjoy it!

5 comments:

Sarah H said...

Wow, that's kind of funny! I wouldn't have described your comments as a "mini diatribe", but I guess it makes for a more interesting article for them. :D

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why gay men were upset about the ad. The walker isn't gay, he is a racewalker.

I guess they are saying that real men don't racewalk, but tell that to Phillip Dunn who is going to the Olympics, or Dave McGovern who is very good looking!

Tammy said...

Cindi, I agree that they were trying to say that if you're a real man you'd run, not walk. That's why the ad bugged me, because I thought it was insulting to racewalkers; they seemed to be saying racewalkers are not real athletes. Umm, hello?

However, I also thought they were taking a dig at gay men - I felt the walker was made to look effeminate, and that part of the ridicule was that he was gay and didn't have any "nuts", and this was another reason I didn't like the ad. Honestly, you'd think they could have spent their ad $ building up their product instead of tearing people down.

Cindi said...

I see your point. I thought he was effeminate, but I guess I didn't assume that would make him gay.

Regardless it was insulting to racewalkers.

On the topic of boycotting: I do it all of the time. I stopped buying an inexpensive frozen food because I hated their commercials. I stopped going to McDonald's (unless I'm VERY thirsty) because their salads all had deep fried chicken, iceberg lettuce, and high calorie dressings. I at least sent them an e-mail telling them I was doing it. :-)

Anonymous said...

You have really made the news this year! That is so cool. You go, girl!