Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Another Hot Tuesday

96 degrees at the start of the workout tonight, but only 7% humidity (pretty dry, even for here). We were scheduled for 4x1600, and I was determined to do it no matter how hot it was. Floyd Ormsby, a racewalking coach who has lived in Utah a long time, was at the workout tonight. I had met him only once and he'd never seen me walk before. I was glad he was there, because I figured some tips would be helpful. He's about 80 years old, but just coached a boy to the national title in 3000m (14:29 was his time!) so I figure he knows his racewalking.

I warmed up, taking the first 2 laps very slow in 6:30 because I wanted to chat with Nancy and Kathy. Then I did 2 laps faster, in about 5:00 so that I'd be nice & warm. I drank a bunch of water and rested a minute, chatting w/Floyd. Then I got started. The first 1600 was in 9:06 - whoa, WAY too fast for the conditions! The next one I did in 9:20, but knew I was in trouble because my legs were starting to feel heavy. I did the third one in 9:30 (I was hoping for 9:25 for all 4) and after I did it I was QUITE nauseous. I very narrowly avoided puking; fortunately there was a trash can there in case I needed to. I hate throwing up, so I did everything I could not to, and it seemed to work. I decided to take the last one a bit easier, and I did it in 9:48. I cooled down, and felt very virtuous for finishing that hard workout in the intense heat.

Floyd seemed very impressed with my walking, which was wonderful to hear. He said my technique was very good, and only suggested that I need to keep my elbows in a little bit - I had them doing a little too much side to side motion. Other than that, he was very pleased. It was great to have him watch me, because now I feel even more secure about not getting DQ'd in Spokane NEXT WEEK. YIKES! IT'S NEXT WEEK! I'm getting nervous, but I feel as ready as I'm going to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome! i'm sure it was nice to have feedback from the expert. will you see aunt carol ann while you're in spokane?