Thursday, July 17, 2008

Leg trouble again

Tonight I hired a sitter so I could do a track workout. I decided to do the workout I failed to complete on Tuesday. 100m, 200m, 300m x 4 with 100m recovery. After the first 100m I knew my leg was going to bother me again (my left quad). I decided to keep going, primarily because it felt fine Wednesday even though it hurt Tuesday night during the workout. I finished the whole workout, though I was kinda slow. Dave wanted me to try and do 200m in 52s - yeah, right. That was NOT happening (and I don't think it would have happened even if my leg felt good). However, I did most of the 100s about 29-30s, and most of the 200s about 58s-1:00; the 300s were slower - 1:31 to 1:37 for the last one (yeah, I was tired). I'm pleased with this considering the leg trouble and that it was HOT tonight. It was 90 degrees at the start of the workout at 8 pm. Yikes! With warm-up and cool-down it took me about 46 min to do 6.8k total.

I stretched a LOT after the workout and now I'm going to ice my leg and take some ibuprofen. Hopefully I'll feel OK tomorrow. I think I may not do any more sprints for a while - I wanted to do them to get ready for Spokane, but now I'm afraid of getting injured, so I think I'll back off. I'd rather be a little undertrained than injured.

Spokane news - a very fast woman from Boise has signed up for the racewalks. She can do 5K routinely under 27 minutes, and she's 55 years old. I wanna be that fast! WOW! She is a very kind person - I met her last year at the Boise Women's Fitness Celebration 5K, and she was encouraging. There are plenty of really fast women signed up for these races. I'll be lucky to be in the top 5, and they are all older than me! Ah, well, experience is a good thing :)!

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Tammy, glad to see you backing off.

I don't know how old you are but given some easy walking, you should be good to go in a week or so.

T "tempo" workouts can keep you fresh (e. g, some 1 km to 1 milers at 10K pace)

Tammy said...

Ollie, I'm 38.

I will definitely do some tempo workouts - good idea :). It's only the really high end speed that seems to be bothering me, thankfully.