Sunday, July 06, 2008

Easy Sunday walk

I did my favorite easy walk today - 6k from my house to SugarHouse Park, around the park, and back home. I took it really easy; ave heart rate in low 130s, and total time about 39:30. Legs felt a little heavy at the start after yesterday's fast 7-miler, but eased up and felt good after a bit.

I'm thinking of my Canadian friends Jeannie and Sarah today at the Canadian Nationals in racewalking. I hope they both do really well!

Other racewalking news: sad, but true - racewalking 20k for men was literally in the parking lot at the Olympic Trials. It really is the Rodney Dangerfield of track & field. Don't know how that is really going to change, given the culture in the US - we worship runners, and racewalking "looks funny". The truth is that racewalkers are going to stay healthy much longer because of the low impact nature of the sport, and we use more muscles than runners, too! In a way, I'm happy it's not so popular, because that means that as an athlete with only a moderate amount of talent, I can be a big fish in a little pond :).

1 comment:

Harriet said...

well, the reality is that when it comes to racewalking, we really are a third world power whereas we are much, much stronger in the runs.

Of course, you are talking about *why* racewalking isn't popular and my guess is that the technique is simply too technical for those of us who aren't good athletes to hold for any period of time.

But that could be a whole 'nother post, no? :-)