Friday, July 04, 2008

Murray Fun Days 5K

This morning I did the Murray Fun Days 5K with three other Wasatch Walkers (photo, L to R: Me, Diane, Debbie, and Nancy). We had a great time! It was pretty HOT out there at 8 am (82 degrees and fairly humid for Utah - for you midwesterners, it was a dry day but it felt humid here) and we all noticed the heat. After the race was over, I noticed that I was extremely sweaty.

So, now that you're waiting with great anticipation, I can happily report that I got a new personal best today! I finished in 28:46 (by my watch and by the large timing sign; the race messed up somehow and officially they had 28:39, but I know I was not that fast), which is a new PR by 7 seconds. I'll take it, especially given the conditions today! The first mile was slightly uphill, and I did it in 9:22. My second mile was at 18:34 (so 9:12), and it had some downhill to it. The third mile I'm not 100% sure about my split - I was really hurting as I pushed as hard as I could to the finish, legs and lungs burning. I think it was about 28:00 but that seems a bit off because that would mean the last 0.1 mile was in 00:46, which seems too fast. Anyway, it's a USATF certified course, so I'm confident the distance was right, and I'm thrilled with my time. I would love to do 28:30 in Spokane in a month, but I'd take a 28:45 too :).

They gave cash prizes to the top 3 runners in male, female, and master's male and female categories. The 3rd place master's female finished in 23:47. I wonder if I could run that fast? She won $50 for her 3rd place! When I turn 40 (in 2 years) I may have to do some running, if I could actually win a prize. Of course, I am not going to give up racewalking. It might just be fun to do a running race once in a while.

4 comments:

anonymous said...

Tammy you might try this calculator. An equivalent 5K run would be 21:29; that seems reasonable given that my best unjudged 5k walk is about that (judged is 30:42) and I've run under 20 minutes for a 5K as a 38 year old.

Tammy said...

Thanks, Ollie. I have seen that calculator but I didn't trust what it said because I truly doubt I could run a 5K in 21:29. Maybe it's right, and with some training I could do it. The reason I doubted it is that I ran a hard mile at the track and it was in 7:45, which is a 24 min 5K. The day that I ran it I thought that would have been a tough pace to sustain for 5K, though I thought I might be able to do it if I worked for it. Therefore, 21:29 seems pretty unachievable to me, hence my mistrust of the calculator. All that being said, it has been pretty good for comparing racewalking distances & times, so maybe it's better than I gave it credit for.

Harriet said...

Tammy, of course the assumption is that you would have trained for the 5K run the way that you have trained for your walk (e. g., speed work, distance, etc., over a long period of time).

Think of it as a potential. :-)

Unknown said...

Hey, Congratulations to you too! It was a great weekend for some great racing times! You're going to do great in Spokane.