Monday, May 30, 2011

weather rant, and yeah, some more elliptical

Nice weather we're having...NOT! We've had ONE nice week this spring so far, and a few nice days here and there. But the rest of the spring it's been either snowing or raining, and unseasonably cold. The bad part of all that isn't merely the inconvenience, but the flood potential. The snowpack is double what it normally is, and it's going to get warm soon. When it does, it's going to flood. My house is not at risk as far as I know, but there are lots of people who will be affected by flooding.

Edited to add: when I got to the gym this morning, I groused about the weather to the guy at the desk, and he told me he was driving in 3 inches of snow on I-215 on the east bench of the city. Ugh! He said it was really slippery and dangerous, because they have put away the snowplows for the summer.

Anyway, here are some of the sights from this morning. Snow on the grass at the gym next to the pool (there were people swimming laps in there, but the pool itself is a nice toasty 82F), and snow on car windshields.


More photos here.

***

The good thing about being injured now is that I don't have to deal w/the rotten weather. I just go to the gym and do the elliptical. Today I thought about spinning, but the front of my ankle was ever-so-slightly sore with certain movements, and I decided to play it safe and just do the elliptical, no intervals, just a regular workout. Tomorrow I will plan to do some more intervals I think. I did 8 miles in an hour, and called it good.

***

Now we're at my parents' house enjoying the Memorial Day holiday. We've been cooking up a storm: my dad is grilling turkey, and I've made 2 pies, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans w/slivered almonds, and my mom made jello. It's been good to hang out with my brother and his wife and baby daughter, who are visiting with us this weekend.

No comments: