Friday, May 06, 2011

4x2K with an interruption, but still FAST (for me!)


Got to the track at 5:50 am ready to roll. I decided to try my new red Mizuno Musha Wave 3s that David mailed to me. Not a good idea! I know better than to try new equipment on a hard track workout, but I LOVE the look of these shoes and just had to try them. They were totally fine for my 1600m warm-up in 10:07, but once I started my first 2K it was not so good. About 200m in my L foot gave a twinge. Then another twinge. I made it 800m and had to STOP and was worried I'd not be able to finish. I drove back home, got my NB205s, and drove back to the track. I did the last 1200m of the first 2K and my foot was FINE, totally FINE, as it was for the rest of the workout. Hmmm...guess those Mushas will have to wait for an easy day AFTER my race on May 15th - I'll give them one more shot and hopefully they will be better on an easy day.

Anyway, I did the first 2K (interrupted by going home, haha!) in 11:25, for what it's worth. I was NOT going to start over from scratch! Then after 4 min rest (and HR getting down to the 90s!) I cranked out a really fast 2K in 11:20. I was perhaps working a bit too hard, as my HR got to 170. I wondered if I'd be able to do 2 more fast. The 2nd 4 min rest showed a higher HR; it only god down to 110ish (and the same for the 3rd 4 min rest). However, I still managed a speedy 11:24 for the 3rd 2K. Finally, the 4th 2K - my legs were Jell-O for the entire last 2K, seriously! But I still stayed strong, telling myself I had a x-training day and rest day this weekend and that I could really go for it. I finished in 11:26. That's my fastest set of 2Ks ever! I feel very confident going into next Sunday's 15K nationals :).

Total km for this week: 66 (41 miles). Getting up there, finally!

Edited to add: my right shin was totally fine! I chatted w/my coach this morning because it was quite sore, and we decided it's just muscle soreness from either my 10K fartlek or the other shoes I've been wearing to work. It is still sore, but the fast track workout didn't bother it at all.

Garmin connect data here.

1 comment:

Nyle Sunderland said...

wow Tammy thats a fantastic workout. I know you will do amazingly at the 15km race.

The red shoes look so nice and super fast but prob need to be worn in first. :)