Tuesday, May 03, 2011

10K fartlek - new PR for this workout!

It was nice & warm this morning - 51F (10.6C). It was somewhat windy, however. It wasn't bad on the warm-up, but about the 2K mark it started to get worse. Fortunately since it was so warm, it didn't bother me too much. I don't think it was strong enough to affect my workout a lot, in any case. But I did enjoy wearing SHORTS for my workout instead of tights!

I was ready to be a bit less conservative than the last time I did this workout, since now I knew what it felt like. I started off strong, with a 5:38 first km, and never looked back. My first recovery was a 3:01 (!) but after the 2nd recovery of 3:05, they were all 3:07-3:09, even the last few! That's much better than last time, when they got to 3:12 or so. And I was faster and more consistent on the fast 500s this morning too - they were all 2:50-2:51, except the 9th km, which was 2:53 (hey, I was tired!), but I redeemed myself by saving the fastest one for last - a 2:49 on the 10th km!

Splits were: 3K in 17:27, 5K in 29:25, 6K in 35:24, 8K in 47:23, and 10K at 59:23!!!!! I was about the same as last time for the first 6K, but the last 4K were much faster today. Awesome. I feel like my endurance is improving. Ave HR for the workout was 160, 2 beats higher than last time, so I did work it a bit harder for that extra 20 seconds faster. And this workout was only 40 seconds slower than my 10K race PR!

Despite taking imodium last night and this morning, I did have a few GI cramps from 7-10K, just enough to be annoying. I shudder to think what it would have been like without that. At least I don't think it affected my workout, but I was happy to get home to the restroom.

It was a great, consistent workout, and I'm pleased. My competition is doing faster, but y'know what? I'm doing the best I can, and having great workouts and improving a lot, and that's all I can ask for.

Garmin connect data here.

No comments: