Sunday, September 07, 2008

Who's Polar?

My Nike+ iPod is a handy gadget that records my mileage via a shoe sensor and receive that plugs into my iPod nano. You're supposed to have special Nike shoes to use it, but I just tuck the sensor in my shoelaces, and that works perfectly. Anyway, there are prerecorded messages of encouragment from big name athletes on there that play at the end of your workout, for example, "This is Lance Armstrong. Congratulations, you've just recorded a new personal best for the mile." The other one I hear a lot (because there is some software bug that plays this message too frequently) is "Hi, it's 'Polar' again. Congratulations, you've covered another 500 kilometers", in a female voice with a British accent. For the longest time, I could NOT for the life of me figure out who "Polar" was. Well, I figured it out (a while ago)and just now am getting around to blogging about it. "Polar" is, of course, Paula Radcliffe, the famed marathoner. I have to laugh at myself that it took me so long to figure it out - but I swear, it still sounds like she's saying "Polar" to my Yankee ears :)!

Today's workout was an easy 4 miles (might have been 4.1 or 4.2) in about 43 minutes. It was a crisp 54 degrees and beautiful, with the mountains pinkish in the sunrise. Now I'm looking forward to church followed by some serious football watching.

No comments: