Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Not again...

Last night at my hard track workout I had big GI trouble. I was doubled over in pain starting 45 min into the workout, and had to quit after 51.5 min. I did manage to get in the car and drive home OK, though.

Other than that, the workout was going well. I was to do a 75 min acceleration tempo workout. I started slow and easy and increased my heart rate every 10 min. Here's a chart of what I did:

Time HR mile splits
0-10 min 135-140 1st mile in 10:12
10-20 min 140-145 2nd mile in 10:06
20-30 min 145-150 3rd mile in 9:54
30-40 min 150-155 4th mile in 10:01 (I started having some pain here)
40-50 min 155-160 not sure of split - I hurt too much, but it was about 10 min
50-51.5 min who knows? terrible pain!!!

After 51.5 min I gave up and walked slowly around the track twice. I still had pain but it was better.

I did eat a yogurt in the afternoon because I read that the active cultures make it OK for many people to eat even if they are lactose intolerant. I'm wondering if this was my problem? Or was it the popcorn (fiber?) or the fiber one bar? I commonly eat all these things and haven't ever had pain this bad at a track workout.

When I got home I headed straight for the restroom. I didn't eat anything at all last night, and felt horrible (chills, sweats, etc.). I wonder if maybe I have a virus? I feel OK today, so I honestly have no idea what is going on. Maybe it was my snack? Maybe I've got some bug?

I fell asleep about 8:45 last night (still in my clothes, with my books and computer on my lap!), woke at 10:30 and got in my pajamas. At about midnight I had to get up to use the bathroom (again...). At 3 am, Michelle lost her binky and I had to go get it for her. Let's just say it was not the most restful night. I intended to get up at 5:00 and be on the road at 5:30 for an easy 60 minutes before weight training, but I gave up on that plan because I was just not up for it. I didn't even get to the weight training class, because honestly, I felt lousy. I do feel better now. My appetite has returned and I seem fine.

I'm getting really apprehensive about whether I will be able to complete the marathon or not. Well, I suppose I am going to be able to finish; I just might be very very slow, which would be a huge disappointment. We'll see how my remaining long walks go and then I can re-evaluate my race strategy. I was in tears after last night's workout. To come this far and have GI stuff stopping me is so difficult and frustrating.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try googling "runner's diarrhea", you'll find articles that explain the probable causes and possible solutions. It's a fairly common issue. Good luck with finding something that works for you.

Tammy said...

Thanks for the tip. I have already done this and am following some of the recommendations from the Mayo clinic and other places. So far, the things I've tried are helping a little but are not curative :(.

Harriet said...

do you have GI troubles if you aren't working out?

Tammy said...

Yes, but not as severe. When I cut lactose from my diet, then I had no problems that entire week, until I worked out. So, the answer seems to be that off lactose I have no trouble UNLESS I work out, and then I have problems. Typically it's not a problem with short workouts (though last night is a notable exception) but only kicks in after 90 min or so.

Anonymous said...

If anyone can do a marathon, it is you. Keep the faith!
Instead of eating yogourt, which probably has dairy, try taking acidopholous (sp?) capsules. You get the live cultures without the dairy. You can get them over the counter at any pharmacy.

Runningstitch said...

Tammy, a good nondairy yogurt, that actually tastes good is So Delicious brand made with coconut milk. My son has to do no dairy, and we've tried other brands and so far, this is the best. Still has the live cultures etc., but no dairy at all. www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com to search for retailers around you. Hope you find some relief soon!

Tammy said...

Thanks, Lauri, for the yogurt tip. I'm going to try & find some. It sounds very good :)!