Sunday, September 14, 2008

Beethoven


Last night we went to the Utah Symphony for an all-Beethoven concert. Garrick Ohlsson performed Beethoven's Piano Concerto #4, and the orchestra and chorus performed the Ninth Symphony. Briefly, I was quite impressed with Mr. Ohlsson's playing - definitely a cut above! It was one of the few times I actually agreed with the Utah crowd's standing ovation (they give standing ovations to EVERYONE, which defeats the purpose, in my opinion). I loved the intense & focused moments of communication between soloist and conductor; the intimacy of consummate musicians in tune with each other is something I would never tire of watching. Actually, truth be told, the only thing that is better is performing and feeling that connection myself. I miss it, but one can only fit so many things in a day, and caring for my children, racewalking, and blogging are taking up all my time :).


The amazing Dale Chihuly sculpture in the Abravanel Hall lobby. Other photos: our friends David & Jana, and also Loren with me.



Date nights are wonderful!

No comments: