Monday, September 29, 2008

Free Fruit!!!

Today I scored a major fruit find, with the help of my friend Sarah.

First, I went to her house and picked the rest of her peaches from her peach tree. She couldn't get them down, and I have a fruit picker, so it was no problem. I am going to can them and/or make jam, and will give her some, of course.

Then, she told me about a local Catholic parish that has TEN (yes, TEN) pear trees that are dropping fruit and NO ONE is using it. Wow. That's a lot of fruit. I went over there, and it was amazing. As an added bonus, there was a playground right next to the trees. So, my kids played in the playground very happily for an hour while I picked fruit. I got 3 huge bags FULL - 72 POUNDS in all! And the trees are still heavy with fruit. I would have taken more, but there is a limit to how much even I can use. We'll eat some of it, and I'll can the rest. We'll be eating pears all winter! I'm so excited!

Here's all the fruit in the back of our car.

1 comment:

ann.e said...

i love free fruit! i had a bowlful of free tomatoes for dinner last night (in a sauce :)

i'd love to train with you for the 1/2 here! jenny is thinking of doing it too... we'll have to talk come friday.