Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bridal Veil Falls 10K

A bunch of us carpooled to the start in Orem, Utah (about 45 min from my house in Salt Lake). The weather was WINDY but pretty warm (61 degrees). However, before the sun got very high, it was pretty cold due to the wind. We got there pretty early (7:30 am for a 9:00 start) so we stayed in our cars until 8:30 am and enjoyed some good conversation). We got our bibs and warmed up from 8:30-9, and then sauntered to the start line, getting a few photos on the way.

The start was pretty congested, as the race is on a narrow paved trail, but after the initial congestion, it was pretty smooth sailing. I felt like I knew my desired pace pretty well.

The first 3 miles were uphill along a beautiful stream, and I just paced myself by my breathing: hard, but comfortable. The last 3.2 were downhill, which was good, because by then I was getting tired. I'd say that I started feeling tired about mile 4, and by 45 minutes I was uncomfortable. By 55 minutes I was very tired, but was able to keep pace pretty darn well to the finish.

Here are my splits:

Mile 1 10:02
Mile 2 10:03
Mile 3 9:58
Mile 4 9:23
Mile 5 9:11
Mile 6 9:19
Last 0.2 1:39
Total time 59:35

This is only 10 seconds off my PB from last summer in the Deseret News 10K, which is an all-downhill course. I feel like this is a new PB, in a way, since this course was half uphill. I'm VERY pleased with my time! I'm also pleased with my splits; I did slow a bit in mile 6, but not much. I think I need to work a little more on endurance and I'll be fine for the 10Ks I have planned later this summer.

All in all, a great test race and I'm feeling splendid about my performance.

A special note about some of my teammates: Boyd, age 79, finished in about 1:12 - amazing for a guy his age. I am pretty sure he beat me, age graded. Diane, age 69, was racing with 2 broken ribs from the Ogden Half Marathon 2 weeks ago, and she still finished in about 1:18 (? not sure of the time, but this is within a few minutes). Normally she'd finish in about 1:13 or so. She is one gutsy lady!

Here are a bunch more race photos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tammy--

I found your blog because I too was at the Bridal Veil Falls 10k today and I was looking at the results and found your blog. It's great! Congratulations.

I joined Weight Watchers myself last fall. I understand the emotional issues of extra weight. Nothing has been so freeing to me, letting my true self out, as gaining control of my weight. I have found running and absolutely love it. It sounds like we are similiar in trying to raise our personal bests, realizing that we want to be the best all around persons we can be.

Once again, congratulations. It was a beautiful morning for a race!

Tammy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog :) and for your kind remarks. It is freeing to get out from under the food monster, isn't it?

Unknown said...

Congratulations on a great race Tammy! That's awesome! I can't wait to hear about how you do at the U.S. Masters. I think you're really going to surprise yourself.

Mrs. Behlke said...

Hi Tammy! You are amazing, just reading your blog makes me tired! I am so proud of you though! Thanks for checking out Community Seeds and for sending the photos. Send more between now & August 1 if you can!!! Thanks for keeping in touch!