Sunday, August 31, 2008

Recovery

Woke up this morning with a bit of a sore throat and my right eye had pretty nasty conjunctivitis. Felt tired and a bit off, so I stayed in bed and read a book for an hour or so before everyone else woke up. It was downright luxurious to have that time! The book is great, too - I'm reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and it's been quite eye-opening so far. I'd highly recommend it if you're the least bit interested in where your food comes from.

Later on, I was feeling better, so I thought I'd get my workout in. I had 4 easy miles planned. I felt a bit tired, but thought it might perk me up. It did, though my legs were a little heavy. I did 3.75 miles around SugarHouse park in about 40 min (too lazy to look up the exact time right now).

After that we packed up the kids and headed up Millcreek Canyon for a Smore-a-thon with our church family. We enjoyed a great grilled dinner together, and shared side dishes. About the time we finished eating, a cold front came through, replete with thunder and heavy rain. Our fire didn't do to well, and neither did the party; no smores after all, but we did have a good time up until that point.

Now I'm at home and thinking about my GI distress on long racewalks. I have had increased GI issues the last few years in general, and I wonder if it is because of the increased fiber in my diet after joining Weight Watchers? I am also wondering if I'm developing lactose intolerance. It is hereditary, and my mom, aunt, and grandfather all suffer from it to varying degrees (my aunt has a particularly severe case). I think that I'm going to try a few things before my next long day - 1) no dairy on Thursday & Friday, and 2) greatly reduced amount of fruit. We'll see if that helps. I am really praying it will, because I was in considerable discomfort Saturday and don't care to ever repeat that feeling. I would love just enjoy the distance!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tammy, I have no advice for you on the GI issues unfortunately, but I know that lots of runners and walkers suffer from it on their long days. Have you tried googling different keywords to see if you find a link to some useful information?

Tammy said...

The googling is a good idea - that's how I decided that the lactose might possibly be the culprit. Other suggestions included less fruit and beans a day or two before the long day. Thx for your input :) and encouragement that I am not alone.