Monday, August 25, 2008

Laid off

Well, this has been a while in coming, but I wasn't going to post about it until I was sure. I have been officially "RIF'd" (reduction in force). Our lab unexpectedly lost our funding, effective August 31st, and while my boss will have until probably early next summer to get some more funds, he does not have enough money to keep the whole lab going. There are 4 of us in the lab, plus the boss: 2 technicians (me, part-time, and another full-time), 1 post-doc (supported by department funds, not the grant we lost), and 1 grad student. The grad student must be supported so she can finish her studies, so she is pretty much guaranteed her $ from the department. My boss will also be funded by the department until next summer, and the post-doc is already department funded and so his job is safe. The technicians? Well, we are expendable, unfortunately (in the university's opinion, not my boss's opinion - I know he is VERY sad to see us go, which makes it easier to take). I have been working here for 6 years, and I have really enjoyed it a lot. It's been a great place to work, and we have been doing some really fascinating research.

I could get another job, but the research climate right now is not very good at all. I have great references and a ton of experience, so I could probably find something anyway, but the fact that I want to work part-time (I have been working 16-20 hrs/wk) makes it harder. Besides, it would be almost impossible to find someone as good to work for as my current boss. He has made my job a pleasure, and I am going to miss working for him a lot.

If you remember, I was going to stay home with the kids after Michelle was born, and in fact, I did quit my job. But then my boss called with a good opportunity for me to come back to work. So, for the past 2 years, I have been working again, and it's been good. The kids have loved their school, and I have generally been quite happy with my job and the adult interaction and intellectual stimulation it provides, never mind the opportunity to get paid to use really cool equipment.

Well, now that my job is ending, I will definitely miss it, but it's not too difficult a decision to stay home for a while, given all the circumstances I've outlined above. We will have to tighten our belts considerably, but the budget numbers appear do-able. I will probably try to pick up a few new piano students, since I can make a decent amount of money doing that and I really enjoy it. The only tricky thing with that is babysitting - I need to find sitters to watch the kids while I teach. But I do have one sitter and might be able to use her for a few more hours, and I have a few possibilities in the wings. We'll see. I'm not in a huge hurry to make any momentous decisions.

I am of surprisingly mixed feelings about all of this. It's been a really rough time, emotionally. I am going to miss my job a lot, as I am very good at it and I love it. I'll miss the adult interaction, the chance to think about scientific problems, and the feeling of satisfaction from a job well done. I'll miss my paycheck, too! However, I won't miss driving in the snow, parking 0.5 mile from the building and walking in the rain/snow/thunder/cold wind, kissing my kids good-bye for the day, and being too busy. Still, it is sad to have to leave this way, and I wish my boss the best in getting more grant money soon, so that he can continue the very good and exciting research he is doing.

7 comments:

Harriet said...

I am sorry to hear this Tammy, but am pleased to know that you are already looking at the upside.

Kristen and Erik Cambridge said...

Tammy, So sorry to hear that. This is very sad news. What is going to happen to Don? I am very sad, since you guys gave me my shot into grad school. It is sad to see you two lose your job. Hope Shannon gets funding soon so you can go back.

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear this news Tammy. It sounds like you've already turned it around though and are looking at the new possibilities. Take care.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. It never feels good when someone else makes a decision for us--even when we're able to see the upside. My mentor, who is a brilliant woman, went through a period where she couldn't get a job to save her life. She said that with each rejection letter she opened, she would say, "Well, I guess God doesn't require my presence there."
Eventually she was hired by Harvard Law school--her dream job.
So...all that to say, apparently God doesn't require your presence there. It will be exciting to see what the next chapter holds for you and where he leads. I know that wherever you land--whether it's teaching piano to a greater extent, staying home full-time, pursuing walk-racing, or at another job, those around you will be blessed to have you in their lives.
In the meantime, sounds like you have your hands full with your little ones. Enjoy it!

Sara Z. said...

I'm sorry, too, but also happy for you that you get to experience the other life that you were torn about giving up back when you took the job. And this time you don't have to make an agonizing decision! I hope you can just enjoy this season, however long it lasts.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you taught piano. My Mom teaches it out of her house a few hours a week and does pretty well.
As far as your research job, sorry to hear that they're cutting back.
I spend a great deal of time as a "lab rat" at UCSF and some other universities, so I can see why you like your current job.
Maybe things will workout where they will hire you back later?

K and J said...

Hi Tammy: Thanks for your feedback about our recipe. Glad you enjoyed it. Visited your blog this evening and realized that in addition to having similar taste in food, we are both saying goodbye to jobs and people we enjoy. It sounds like you have had an emotional week, and I just wanted to send you best wishes. From reading your blog it also is clear that you have incredible perseverance, so I am sure something great is around the corner.

- K

The Gourmand Syndrome