Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I'm back!

Yeah, I've been resting from the blog for a few days. When I got back from Spokane (Sunday night), my mom was still here, AND I had to work Monday & Tuesday. My mom left Tuesday morning, and last night my husband had an exercise class, so I had the kids by myself. I have had a lot of laundry, etc. to catch up on, hence no blogging.

Anyway, Monday I thought I'd best get out and do some easy miles to loosen up. I had surprisingly little muscle pain from the 10K on Sunday. I was a little sore in my obliques and lower back, and my legs felt just fine, happily. So I did an easy 45 min around SugarHouse Park and the neighborhood.

Tuesday I walked 3 miles at a very easy pace with my mom, for the company. I knew it would mean I wouldn't get in a hard workout that day, but I really wanted to hang out with my mom, and I figured I could do the Team in Training track workout on Wednesday instead. TNT had the track workout Tuesday night at 6 pm, as usual, but I had no babysitter, and so that was out.

So, this morning I was ready for a nice challenge. The workout was 3 repeats of 1200 at 10K pace and 400 at 5K pace, with 1 min rest between the 1200 and 400, and 3 min rest between sets (plus a 4 lap warm up and 4 lap cool down). I planned to do them in 7:04 and 2:14. I felt really fast and had trouble slowing down (hmmm, will have to work on this for the marathon - too fast will be a very bad thing!), so I did them in 6:56, 2:13, 6:56, 2:11, and 6:57, 2:14. It was somewhat challenging, but not too bad. My average heart rate for the fast intervals (including the recovery) was 148. I was hitting the low 160s at the ends of the intervals, for the most part, which is about where I wanted to be, so I guess I was just fast this morning.

In other news, the 10K splits were posted from the championship race in Spokane. I was pretty close on my splits, but didn't get it exactly right. The lap times were (2k loops): 12:17 (this lap had 10m extra at the start), 11:49, 11:43, 11:29, and 11:25. Wow, I paced this race VERY well, and an 11:25? That's a smokin' 2k for the end of a 10k race, for me! Pretty close to 5K pace there at the end, negative splits to the end, and a nice consistent pace at the start. Perhaps the only mistake I made was going just a little too slow the first lap, but I did have the energy to do negative splits at the end, so I really can't second guess myself too much. It was probably my best race, ever, so I'm very happy with it. I guess I'm learning from experience :).

Katie's (1st place) splits for the 10K: 12:00, 11:37, 11:42, 11:47, 11:30
Tracy's (3rd place) splits for the 10K: 12:21, 11:46, 11:40, 11:34, 11:30

No comments: