Friday, August 29, 2008

4 miles + weights; last day at work

This morning I racewalked an easy 4 miles before my weight training class, in about 41 minutes and change. I was pretty fast this morning, and it felt good. It's really great to be back to the weight training as well. I missed it more than I thought I did.

Been looking into memberships at gyms/fitness centers because I need to have some options for bad weather training now that I can't have a membership at the university any more. I can get a membership at the Utah Olympic Oval for $99 per year (family membership!) which gets me access to their 442m running track. Unfortunately, it's about a 30 minute drive from my house. Also, while they are open at 5:30 am MWF, they don't open until 8 am on TuTh and are not open on Sundays. Hmmmm. Very cheap, but not so convenient. The other option I have is Salt Lake County Parks & Recreation. They have multiple facilities, one of which is a 5 minute drive from my house and has very nice swimming pools, cardio equipment, aerobics/fitness classes, and weights. They are open 5 am M-F, and 6 am on Sat; only open 10-5 on Sunday, but at least they are open. Another facility about 15 min away is building a new indoor running track (1/8 mile) that will be completed in November; they also have pools and cardio equipment and fitness classes. They are open 5:30 am M-F and 7 am on Sat; 10-4 on Sun. I can get a membership to all of the county facilities (those 2 plus a bunch more) for $316 per year. More expensive, but also much more convenient. I will probably get a membership with them; I do have to come up with the $, true, but fortunately my husband will be getting his automatic annual pay increase (ain't government employment nifty!) in September, which will more than cover the cost of my fitness membership.

I could get a regular gym membership, but I really want to have the indoor track option. That's extremely important to me, as I dislike treadmills and vastly prefer the track. I will be doing interval workouts when it's too dark and/or cold to be at the outdoor track, so it's pretty much essential to me. 24 hr Fitness and Gold's Gym definitely do not have indoor tracks, and I doubt they are any cheaper than the county system.

***

In other news, this is my last day at work. It will probably be somewhat emotional, but I'll get through it. I'm actually getting very excited to have more free time, and have been thinking of lots of fun stuff to do w/the kids and for myself :). Looking on the good side is making this lots easier to deal with.

1 comment:

Sara Z. said...

I like the Salt Lake City Parks & Rec. I'm assuming the Sports Complex would be the one closest to you? That's where we go. I belonged there a long time ago, and then was lured away by the JCC for a couple of years, but it was not ideal (though they do have an indoor track - very short - I think 20 laps to a mile). The space around the ice rink at the Sports Complex can almost function as an indoor track. And if you can pay your membership at the annual rate rather than monthly, it's a huge savings. They don't tell you this until you sign up, but you also get a discount if you have Blue Shield or Blue Cross insurance or something. I have ValueCare and they gave it to me. I really like the option of being on cardio machines that DO NOT face TVs. The ice is very relaxing to look at.