Saturday, August 23, 2008

Longest so far

This morning I did my longest racewalk so far. I did 16.15 miles (26 km) in 2:54:14. That's an average of 10:47/mile or 6:42/km. Not bad! I pushed the last 3 miles (HR 145-150) as recommended in my training plan.

I felt lots better than last Saturday, but my workout was not without some pain. My hamstrings were very tired by the end, and my right hip flexors are bothering me quite a lot. I think some ibuprofen and/or an ice bath is in order. I did have some intestinal distress, but it was much better than last week. Does anyone have tips on how to mitigate this? I have trouble with this on my walks >1.5 hr, for some reason, and it's really difficult to deal with sometimes. Today it only bothered me about every 20 minutes, for a minute or two at a time. Last week it was more like every 5-10 minutes :(.

On the positive side, it was a beautiful morning, with perfect weather in the 60s, sunny (when the sun came up! I started in the pitch black, at 5 am.), and the walk was a pretty route through some nice residential areas. We did a couple laps around SugarHouse park to get started, and the ducks were out on the pond while the pink-tinged clouds welcomed the morning. I wasn't even that tired, despite being up until midnight after watching the latest Batman movie with Loren. Our day care had pajama night, and we always like to take advantage of that to enjoy a date together.

Now I'm lying on the couch vegging out after a great breakfast of pancakes and bacon :).

No comments: