Sunday, August 10, 2008

USATF National Masters' Championships - Women's 10K, ages 30 & up

Conditions were perfect for this race. I got a great night's sleep (9:30 pm to 5:30 am), and the weather was absolutely divine. Upper 50s, overcast, and a slight breeze. Awesome! Sure beat upper 70s and humid that we had for Friday's 5K.

The first picture is the start (special thanks to Sally for the terrific photos!!!). The 10K was a road course (a 2K loop) in Fort Wright, immediately adjacent to the stadium. The gun went off, and it was crowded (about 40 ladies?) but the traffic didn't impede me significantly. I moved near the front quickly, and within a couple of minutes I was about 5th or 6th. I quickly passed a few more people, and then only Marianne Martino, Katie Grimes (who was 2nd, just ahead of me in the 5K), and Yoko Eichel were ahead of me. Lynn Tracy ("Tracy"), who won the 5K on Friday, was not far behind me, along with Mary Snyder. Things stayed like that through the first of 5 loops. The first loop (plus about 10 meters extra because each loop was 1998m, not 2000) took me 12:17 to complete, and I was working moderately hard, but it was still comfortable. I felt like I paced this perfectly.

About halfway through the second loop, I passed Yoko, who was tiring a bit. Tracy and Mary were right on my heels, though (see picture below). Mary had been doing a lot of distance work (I think I've mentioned that she has done TEN marathons this year!) and not a lot of speed work, so she wasn't able to keep the pace up for long. I completed the 2nd loop in about 24:05 total, for a split of 11:48; my goal for the race was 11:54 per loop for a 59:00 finish, so things were going well so far. I felt pretty good at this point, and was still going moderately hard. From this point, it was just Tracy immediately behind me through about halfway through the 3rd loop. I did the 3rd loop a bit faster, in about 11:42 (I'm not 100% sure of this split) and was starting to feel a bit uncomfortable, but Tracy was breathing down my back and I didn't dare slow down; she passed me sometime during this loop but I was able to stay right behind her. I figured if I stayed with her I might be able to pass her later if she tired.


About halfway through the 4th loop, I decided that it was now or never, and so I passed her and tried to really turn on the speed. I think she was a bit surprised that I went for it, and she did stay pretty close on my heels, but then she tired and dropped back a bit (I'm not sure how far back, because I couldn't hear her breathing any more, but I knew she was still pretty close). I completed the 4th loop in about 11:30 (approximately; not sure of this split), so I was really moving at this point, and feeling it too. My heart rate was in the upper 170s now, and I wondered how long I could hold the pace. My lungs and legs were burning, but I was thinking "it's only pain...it's only pain...I can do this...one more loop".

I could still see Katie ahead of me entering the 5th and last loop, and I was gradually closing in on her. Through about halfway through the last loop, I kept gaining ground, but then she turned on the speed and though I didn't lose ground, I wasn't able to gain any more either. It was SO frustrating. I was maxxed out and just couldn't go any faster. My heart rate was still right up there, and I gave it the hardest effort that I could. I pushed all the way to the end, and finished the last loop in approximately 11:21 for a final time of 58:43, only seven seconds behind Katie, who finished in 58:36. WOW! I was so pleased with my time, because I figured going in that if I did 59:00 that would be a great race; to get under 59:00 was awesome, even if I couldn't catch Katie. Tracy finished in 58:52, only 9 seconds behind me, so it was a super close race all the way to the finish. I am VERY pleased with the way I paced the race - the negative splits were exactly what I was shooting for, and the pace felt right throughout. It sure helps to have other walkers pushing you - it beats competing against runners any day!

Though I was 2nd overall, I was first in my age group (OK, so I was the only one in my age group :)!). Still, I was there, and I didn't get DQ'd (in fact, it was a totally clean race for me, with no warnings or red cards), so that's something. I am very pleased that after racewalking only about a year and a half, I was able to keep up with these very fast, experienced walkers (even if most of them are older than me!).

I was very inspired by the woman who won the age 75-59 group - she set a new American record today for her age group, 1:11:xx (can't remember the seconds). WOW! I want to be like her when I grow up!

Official results HERE (you have to scroll down a ways)

All in all, this was an awesome weekend! The Nationals are in Florida next year (UGH - too hot! and too far away!), but the following year they are in Sacramento, near where my brother lives, so I'll almost certainly go to those. In addition, the World Masters' Championships will be in Sacramento in 2011, and hopefully by then I'll improve enough to put in a respectable show against international competition. What fun!



Katie and I exchange congratulations after the race.



Tracy, Tammy, & Katie.

10 comments:

Elizabeth Richardson said...

Another great race, Tammy. You have a fantabulous racewalking future!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again, Tammy! You're awesome! I really admire your dedication and determination.

Harriet said...

All that hard work has indeed payed off. Well done!

Your technique is simply outstanding.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Way to go girl!! You rocked it!!

Your form looks incredible! Very proud of you!

Good job! You have inspired me for my race this weekend. Thank you!

Jeannie

Anonymous said...

It shows that you put your heart into it,tammybear.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You rocked!!!! I have not been able to beat Tracy yet. My last race with her I was less than a minute...can't remember the exact seconds behind her. Way to use the other racers to motivate yourself.

Too bad it is Florida next year. Why do they pick spots that are guaranteed to be hot???

Enjoy the glory!!!
Rebecca

Hunca Munca said...

WOW! A 2-time National Champion! Looks like you had a wonderful time. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Tammy, be very proud of your success. You've worked incredibly hard and its certainly showing in your results.

I am very impressed by the times of all of the Women's US Masters. I think it was 7 ladies under 30:00 in the 5K. That's amazing.

Keep up the hard work! I still hope to be in a race with you sometime!

Anonymous said...

Well, I wonder when I read this kind of thing, how much time does it take to train for all of this? Looks like one has to be independently wealthy to have the right equipment (shoes and such), not to mention the countless hours of training................

Tammy said...

It does take a fair amount of training time, but remember, I have 2 very little kids, so it's not impossible to do it even if you are really busy! I'm an amateur, not an elite, so I probably only spend about 8-10 hours a week on my training, mostly in the early mornings before the kids wake up.

As for $, it's actually a lot cheaper than a many sports. It costs about the same as running. Basically, you need shoes (which I got for $40 per pair on a good sale; am on my 3rd pair this year) and some good socks, minimum. I also like wicking shirts and shorts (shorts $10 at Wal-Mart; shirts come with many race entry fees) for summer and tights and long-sleeve shirts and a water resistant jacket for winter. I asked for and received most of those items as birthday and Christmas gifts, so not a significant outlay of money there.

Races are pretty cheap to enter if you are happy entering local running races, which is what I did up until going to Spokane.

The most expensive things so far in my racewalking "career" have been clinics (Dave McGovern's clinics, which were worth every penny - www.racewalking.org), some private lessons from a walker in Ogden, and travel expenses to Spokane.

Even adding those in, I have spent MUCH less than I would have in most other sports. Take the triathlon, for example - I would have had to buy a bike ($$$$$$!), swimsuit, swim goggles, swim cap, fancy outfits to transition quickly, bike shoes, and running shoes and socks.

All in all, racewalking can be very cheap if you want it to be!