Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A friend at the track

A Canadian goose just like this joined me for my track workout this morning. He (or she?) was all by himself at the track, just munching on the grass on the football field. He even wandered on to the track, and at one point during my workout, buzzed me just overhead! He was not shy at all and came very close to me and the runners who were working out this morning. Maybe he was saying "hi" to me from my Canadian friends Jeannie and Sarah?

Most of my workout was in lane 2, because there was a running club there today. I decided to do 1600m warm-up, then 4x1600 at 10k pace (9:25), then 1600m cool-down. I did the fast 1600s in 9:23, 9:24, 9:26, and 9:17, with about 2 min rest in between. Yup, that last one was fast. I got more rest before that one, because I got talking to some of the runners about racewalking. Some of them had watched parts of the men's 20k in the Olympics and spoke very highly of the fast pace and athleticism of the racewalkers. I told them a little about racewalking and gave it a good plug for cross-training. Maybe some of them will racewalk someday if they can't run any more.

Back to my workout - I felt a bit sluggish for the first 2 repeats, but then started to feel more fluid and easy, though I got a bit tired. After talking up racewalking, I think I was energized for that last 1600m! It felt great and I'm so glad I did a nice hard workout today.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

I train with lots of geese; most are Canadian but some are snow geese and a few are hybrids.

Unknown said...

Haha! It might have been me. Wishful thinking to be on a track again training.