Monday, February 04, 2008

New career?

This morning I went over to our local NBC affiliate, KSL, to record the essay that will be the sound backdrop for my before pictures on the Today Show spot. Tom, the sound technician, showed me into the little room crammed with old equipment (looked like it was from the 70s or 80s, really!), film reels, and all sorts of odds and ends. I read my story into the big mic covered with gray foam. I read it three times, changing my inflections a little each time to give the producer some options to work with when she's editing. After I was done, Tom, who apparently had no idea what this was for (other than that the Today Show producer in NYC asked him to do this) asked me who I worked for, and if I was "in the business". I laughed, and told him no, that I was a molecular biologist. He said, "Oh, you have a REAL job!". Then he told me that my reading was really great, and that I was a dream to work with! He thought my inflections were wonderful and I had him fooled into thinking I was a correspondent or something. Ha! What a fun experience!

3 comments:

Sara Z. said...

You do have a great reading voice! I'm still so excited for you. You are going to shine!

Hunca Munca said...

Oooh, I can't wait to see you on the show. If you ever get tired of molecular biology, it's nice to have another career possibility in your back pocket! :)

Annie Jeffries said...

The sound engineer was so right on, Tammy. You have a wonderfully soft and reassuring voice. You never know - molecular biologist today, voice over artist tomorrow. I'm off to do more reading. Annie