Saturday, September 18, 2010

vacation #5 - Zion NP




















The most amazing part of the vacation for me was my solo hike to Observation Point (all the photos above except the last two). It was an incredible hike, long and challenging, but not too hard for me and fabulous views the ENTIRE way. It was 8 miles round-trip, with 2100 feet of elevation gain (and then 2100 ft of loss coming back). Absolutely the best hike I've ever taken! That's maybe not saying too much since I have been a couch potato for a long time, but I always did enjoy hiking even if it was in moderation due to my lack of conditioning.

I started at 6:15 am, and it was still pretty dark at the trailhead. Soon it was light enough to see, and the sunrise was gorgeous on the red rock. As I ascended, the views became more and more phenomenal. I think I'll stop explaining now, and just say that you really must do this hike!

After that, I hiked the Lower Emerald pools (waterfall photo) and Court of the Patriarchs (last photo).

The rest of our photos from Zion:
Driving through on hwy 9
Photos from the campground
Morning racewalks in the park
Frog photos!
Deer and view from Natural History Museum
Observation Point hike
Temple of Sinawava & Riverwalk

3 comments:

Nyle said...

Wow Tammy, what beautiful scenery! I can see why you enjoyed the hike so much. You amaze me!!!

Lantis Lani said...

Fantastic pictures! I love Zion, but I've never done the observation point hike or the riverwalk. Next time...

Unknown said...

My gosh, you're a photographer as well! Those are fabulous pictures.