Wednesday, September 22, 2010

how NOT to do a 10K kickdown

I was feeling good and ready to do this workout. My hamstrings were a bit tired this morning, but I think it was from the one-legged bridges more so than from racewalking. Other than that, I was ready to go. Too ready.

I went out too fast, and then my pacing was irregular and awful. I felt like I settled in during the second 2.5K, but I was still going too fast for the most part. Then I paid for it. By 6.5K I was hurting, and by 8.5K I pretty much mentally gave up, but finished the workout as best as I could.

Chalk this one up to a learning experience. It was not a kickdown, but rather, a butt-kicking. And I did it all myself.

I wish I'd done this on a track, because I have to wonder about some of the GPS splits. They just seemed off - I had one 500m split of 3:23, and it seemed to me there was NO WAY I was going that slow. Problem is that I'm a bit reluctant to use the track because the Army guys have been there a lot and it's been very crowded. Still, maybe I should have done that.

Like I said, chalk it up to a learning experience.

Oh, yeah? How slow was I? Well, the first 5K was 31:41, when it should have been 16:15+15:50 = 32:05. Then I paid, because my total time was 62:20. The last 5K should have been in 15:25+15:00 or less = 30:25 or less, and it was 30:39. Not good at all.

2.5K splits: 16:01 (supposed to be 16:15), 15:40 (supposed to be 15:50), 15:33 (supposed to be 15:25), and 15:06 (should easily have been under 15...but not with how stupidly I did this!). The 0.5K splits are too awful to put here. Go to Garmin connect if you really must see them, but if I were you I'd skip it. (And here I was proud that I figured out how to do Auto Lap on my Garmin. UGH!).

The good news? I'm not injured, I still got in a good hard anaerobic workout, I felt good when it was over (haha), and I get to try again on Monday with a 12K kickdown. And to be kind to myself, it's been quite a while since I've done a kickdown, and I have only done 4 others total, so I suppose there is going to be a bit of a learning curve. There are lots more this season to practice on. I'm pretty mad at myself for this.

Note to my coach: don't get all worried. I'll be fine. I just need to be mad for a bit and then I'll move on and will do better next time. It's behind me now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tammy, that sounds like a tough workout, trying to hit specific times for those distances. Pacing is tough and something that a lot of people are continually working on! Don't beat yourself up! At least you still did something decent.