Saturday, September 25, 2010

20K

Today was awesome. I felt great! I love the long ones when I feel good. I knew after about 4km that it was going to be a good one, as I was fast and felt like I could go that speed forever. About 15km I did start to feel tired, but didn't slow my pace much at all.

It was nice cool weather - 50-52 degrees F (10-11C) and calm. I think that helps my pace a lot. I feel I do much better when it's less than 55 degrees; less than 60 is OK too, though 50-55 is just about perfect. I wear shorts and a T-shirt if it's above 50, and if it's 45-50 I usually bring gloves and might wear a long-sleeved shirt. Less than 45 finds me in capris, a long-sleeved shirt, and gloves for sure. Anyway, today's weather was wonderful, which helped quite a bit. In addition, I turned off the light at 9:15 last night, and slept like a rock until 4:50 am when my alarm clock went off. I felt pretty good when I woke up!

My friend Sarah joined me for the first 10km, and it was wonderful to have someone to talk with, even if we only overlapped for about half that time (she does Galloway run/walk and I would lose her when she walked but she'd catch up on the run). She set a new PR for 10K this morning - it was 1:04:27 or something; my 10K was 1:03:46 (actually 10.06k on Garmin) but that's because 1) I messed with my watch 0.8km in and stopped it to do so because I wasn't walking, and 2) I also stopped my watch briefly when I dropped a water bottle.

Forgot to turn on the auto lap until 0.8km and so then it was a bit off, but you can still see the splits :). The slowest one was 6:31, and the fastest was 6:10. I kept being surprised by how speedy my splits were, as I didn't feel I was working THAT hard. My HR did show that I was working, though, as the average for the whole workout was 149.

I had pretty even splits: 1:03:46 for the first 10.06km and 1:03:13 for the second 9.94km.

Totals: 20km (12.43 miles) in 2:06:59 for 6:21/km or 10:13/mile. Nice! It's good to have more iron, and thus more oxygen to the muscles :).

Garmin connect data here.

2 comments:

Nyle said...

What a great work out. You are getting stronger and stronger each time. Plus with feeling so great now....looking back at how you were training with such low iron still amazes me.

Does make me giggle to hear someone say a short workout (and its 20km) but yes when training for a 50 it is. I don't think my body would let me do 50 so again I admire you.

I love auto lap, saves the hassle and it gives you a good idea of how consistent you were. I know your coach is very pleased with how well you are doing too....hehe :0)

Keep up the fantastic work!!

Tammy said...

Nyle - yes, indeed we will have some fun in Sacramento :). We're going to have an awesome race!

I'm sure you could do 50K! You've been injured, and work has been stressful, but once things calm down again you could train for it if you wanted to. Of course, maybe you don't want to...I'm wondering if I'm a little bit crazy even attempting it!

Thanks for the encouragement :).