Friday, September 17, 2010

the fast workout that almost wasn't (5K fartlek)

I was to do a 5K fartlek today. That's a pretty short hard workout, as they go, but it's still hard, and I was NOT in the mood. Add to that a load of people at the track, and I almost left and went to the gym instead. But I didn't. I figured if I warmed up maybe some of the people would be done by then. The Army guys were there (about 30 of them) and the East High x-country team was there too (about 20 of them) so it was crowded. I warmed up in lane 6 for the most part, and by the time I did my dynamic flexibility drills, the x-country team was off running x-country and not on the track any more, and the Army guys were doing push-ups, etc. on the football field. I pretty much had the track to myself then!

Today went great. I did the first 1K in a nice fast 5:32, surprising myself with the speed and with how smooth I felt. I think I am really starting to get the whole using-my-glutes-more thing. My form is not perfect I'm sure, but it's improving anyway. Then I was to alternate medium 500m/hard 500m. The first 500m recovery was a fairly quick 3:08, and followed by a fast 2:47 500m. So far, so good I was thinking - 2K in 11:28! For me, that's fast. I continued, doing a 3:09 and 2:48, arriving at 3K in a very fast 17:26. Now I was thinking this could be a PR 5K fartlek, and wondering if I could hold on for the last 2K, since I was working pretty hard (HR was averaging 171-172 in the fast segments). I did a 3:11 and 2:49 for the 4th km, getting to 4K in 23:27. Now I thought if I could just hold on I'd have the record for sure, and I also realized I could possibly do all my fast 500s under 2:50! I gave it my all and did the last km in 3:17 (slower - getting tired!) and 2:47 for a total of 29:33. Awesome. I was really glad I'd stayed!

Garmin connect data here.

***

Then I went to meet Lisa at the gym. I didn't feel like doing weights, and wanted a real cool-down, so I did 20 min on the elliptical and then some core work with Lisa. We did a good hard set including a 2-min plank, lots of ball crunches, hip-ups, oblique crunches on the ball, & back extensions.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

I am glad that it worked out for you...sometimes the best workouts are the ones we weren't in the mood to do. :-)