Monday, September 20, 2010

8K fartlek

I worked hard to get myself psyched up this morning. I was genuinely happy to be able to do a hard RW workout, though I will admit that I do still dread the pain of the hard ones. (I had some great comments on a FB post I made about that - very interesting, and a relief to know others feel the same). However, the pain is tempered by success, and this morning was pretty successful I'd say.

I was to do 1K hard then alternate 500m medium/500m hard to 8K total. The usual. I was hoping for sub 2:50s on the hard and about 3:10 on the medium; I had to settle for sub 2:53s on the hard and most of the medium (except for 1) sub-3:11. Still, for me, this was very good compared to earlier in the spring. My total time was 47:58, which was almost a minute faster than my previous best 8K fartlek (48:49). To make it sweeter, the previous best 8K fartlek was a 500m/500m/1k/1k/2k/1k/1k/500m/500m, which has more fast segments than the one I did today. So I was considerably faster today! The best part was that I was quite consistent. I even managed a 2:47 on the last 500m, though my HR did hit 177 (yeah, I really went for it).

I felt pretty good for the first 5-6km, and definitely tired on the last 2km. Now, at lunch time, I'm a bit stiff, so I know I really worked hard. It didn't seem as brutal to do as I'd imagined last week, when I was in a funk about hard workouts. Yeah, it hurt, but I really made an effort to give it my best positive self-talk (a Weight Watchers technique!), and I thought about how strong I felt, and how I was lucky to be able to be out there uninjured, and how good it feels to be able to push yourself. I thought about my dad, who is having back surgery on Thursday for stenosis of his spine, and how he can barely walk 10 feet. That made me feel extra grateful for being able to do it, and I think it really motivated me. I know he's really proud of me for losing the weight and for my racewalking accomplishments; yesterday I told him more about the 50K and he seems so happy that I'm able to do it. Thinking positively today was a huge step in the right direction for this fall's training.

Garmin connect data here for 8K fartlek.

***

Oh, forgot to post about yesterday's workout. I was to cross-train, so I took a bike ride with Dorothy. It was very hot Indian Summer here yesterday - 90F (32C)! But I didn't feel too hot on the bike, because it was also WINDY. Very windy. Really windy. Get the picture? ;)

Dorothy and I biked from the park-n-ride at 3500 East (about 8100S) on Wasatch Blvd down to where Wasatch meets 1700E in Draper. It was a hilly route, but fun. I didn't push very hard, and my ave HR was about 131. It took us 1 hr 27 min to do the very hilly 24.1km; slow, but hey, I'm no cyclist and we were just out there for enjoyment. I hoped that wasn't too long to be out in terms of wearing me out for my hard workout this morning, but that turned out just fine, happily!

Garmin connect data here for bike ride.

No comments: