Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Still on the mend; first aid/CPR class

Yesterday I biked on the trainer for 30 min and then did 8 min of racewalking on the treadmill w/o incident or pain.

Today I did 22 minutes of racewalking on the treadmill before heading to my weight training class. I made sure I stretched my IT band a lot on the foam roller, and my instructor stretched it for me as well. It felt fine while walking, though a bit tight (no pain :)!!!), so that is progress in the right direction. During weight training, I worked on my adductors (the muscles that oppose the IT band) to strengthen them, as well as working on my left quads and glutes too (one legged squats, etc.). I am sure that part of my problem is that my left leg has been weaker than my right leg ever since 1993, when I tore my left ACL and had surgery to reconstruct it. I rehabbed it a lot, but my left quads have never been quite the same since.

Between taking it easy and all the stretching, I think it's getting better. I hope. I'm going to continue taking it easy and see how it goes. I want to walk Sugar House Park tomorrow, but I think that is probably not a good idea - if I get out there and it hurts, I'll still have to walk home. So, I think I'll do the treadmill again, and if it starts to bug me, I can stop and stretch w/the foam roller and then do some biking (as long as that is pain-free).

***

Today I took a First Aid/CPR class at the Red Cross. I am required as a TNT coach to be certified, which is very important, I think! I took the kids to day care and then went to the class. The instructor was great - very knowledgeable and entertaining as well. I thought it might be a boring day, but it wasn't. The only downer were the 2 Roto-Rooter plumber guys sitting behind me making rather immature comments the whole morning; thankfully, they left after the CPR part in the morning (I guess they didn't need the First Aid class). The guy sitting next to me was quite interested in Team in Training and gave me his address so we could send him a brochure, which was pretty cool.

So, now I feel ready for just about any emergency that might arise during a team workout. Hopefully I won't need to use any of that information, and all of our runners and walkers will stay healthy & happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is good certification to have, not only for TNT, but also for anyone with kids, or in general if you come across someone who needs emergency help & you're the only qualified person available. I'm glad you took this class, Tammy.

Mom