Sunday, December 07, 2008

IT band problems

Ummm, yeah, I'm still having IT band problems. Not good. I was better all week with no trouble at all, and then I did a hard weight training workout on Friday with lots of squats (no pain, but I wonder if this contributed?) followed by some running and lots of walking at the TNT workout on Saturday. I actually ran really hard for a bit trying to catch up with some participants, and I think this was a BAD idea. The pain started after that and it continued with racewalking. I stretched it a lot yesterday during and after my workout, and it felt fine this morning. So then I went for an easy walk this morning, and the first 2 miles were great. I was thinking everything was fine, and then it started to hurt. I still had to get home somehow so I kept walking fast. I think that was a mistake. It started to hurt worse, despite stopping several times to stretch.

So, now I have ice packs on it and I've plopped myself down in front of the 49ers game and am trying to do nothing. Not easy. But I need to get better. I'm going to avoid walking or running for several days, take ibuprofen, use ice and my foam roller, and hope and pray that it gets better. I love walking so much. I was literally crying with frustration (and pain) while out on my walk this morning, and I know I have to get back to it somehow. If it's not doing better later in the week I think I will make an appointment w/a doctor and/or physical therapist.

Any advice is welcome.

4 comments:

Harriet said...

You might read Dave's book; he points out that the problem might not be at the actual pain site.

Dig around (with your fingers) up and down the band until you find that trigger point; you might be surprised.

One thing to NOT do: DON'T EAT OVER IT. ;-)

Unknown said...

If its really, really painful, my advice is to go to a physiotherapist a.s.a.p. to get diagnosed properly and to get on the mend as quickly as possible.

Keep icing and resting, but I still say, "get thee to a doctor"!

Don't worry, once you get it figured out, you'll get it fixed!

Kristen and Erik Cambridge said...

I am sorry you are having those issues. I have had them for a long time, they are not fun. It is most likely muscle imbalances that are causing the tight IT bands. Make sure you stretch out your quads and iliopsoas really good, since if they are tight, they will in turn cause your IT band to be tight. Keep rolling on your foam roller, and good luck.

Sara Z. said...

Ohh, boo. REST IT, for sure, until you know more.

By the way, HOW did you watch the niners game? As far as I could tell, it wasn't showing here. Was it on a cable channel? Or do you have DirecTV with NFL ticket or something?