Saturday, December 20, 2008

Snowy Saturday, again...

Photo: Me and Starr, one of the runners on our team. I went about 4 miles with her today.

The team met in Draper to do the Porter Rockwell Trail this morning. Thankfully, it did not snow much last night, and someone had plowed the trail fairly recently. There was anywhere from 1-3 inches of snow on most of the trail, though. With my YakTrax Pro, I had pretty secure footing though, and it wasn't too terribly cold (18F; -8C) and it was not windy except for a mile or so past the second water stop. Because of the weather we had a very low turnout, which we expected. I sent an e-mail yesterday telling everyone that if they wanted to work out indoors at the Olympic Oval or on their personal treadmill that we would be OK with that, because if the snow was really awful I didn't want people to feel like they had to come to the team workout.

In some ways it was nicer than last week, because it wasn't snowing in my face for half of the workout. However, maybe due to the unevenness of the ground with the snow on it, my IT band started acting up around mile 4.25 or so :(. I was able to stretch and rest it a lot intermittently, since there weren't many team members out there today, and that helped. I made it back to about 0.6 miles from the parking lot and then asked Te Koi (the running coach) for a ride. He was driving around because he's resting and nursing some injuries for a couple weeks. Anyway, my IT band didn't hurt as much as it did a couple weeks ago, but it wasn't great either. I am going to have to rest it more, ice it more, take more ibuprofen, etc. I'm thinking about what the rest is going to look like. I would just take 2 weeks off from walking entirely, but I am going to visit my brother for Christmas and not sure what kind of exercise I can do while I visit him. I think I can probably bike at his house during the day - it shouldn't be too cold if I bundle up, and they don't get snow there (Northern California - Davis). I really have to take the time off, I think, so I am going to figure it out. Hey, maybe I can swim some. My SIL Erica is a great Master's swimmer and maybe she can teach me some moves :). There's a cheery thought!

No comments: