Saturday, December 27, 2008

a mixed bag

Off the wagon. Sigh. It started with a visit to the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield. Loren and the kids really wanted to go, and I knew it would be tough, but I agreed, not wanting to break the family harmony. I'm not unhappy I agreed, because actually I didn't do too badly. I did eat some jelly beans, but not a terribly huge amount. Still, I am supposedly off the junk.

Now the good news - I actually like the Jelly Belly Sport Beans, which are basically sugar with some electrolytes & vitamins to fortify one on those long walks/runs/bike rides/whatever. In fact, I was thinking of using them for my next series of long walks. Guess what? They had a case sale at the factory, and for a case of 120 pkg it was only $24. The retail price on these is $1 per pkg - so I got these for 1/5 of the retail price! WOW! What a great deal! I'm set for the year as long as I don't get too bored w/lemon lime flavor :).

Some more good news - after the factory tour we returned to my brother's house and the kids and Loren napped. I decided that I needed some exercise, and I took a long bike ride on the Davis Bike Loop. Awesome for 3 reasons: 1) it's warm enough to bike here (it was in the low 50s and I wore tights, a long sleeve shirt, and gloves, and that was perfect), and 2) it's a beautiful tour of the city in which I lived from 1993-1996 so it was quite nostalgic to bike around, and 3) I got in probably 14 miles total; the trail is 12 miles but I had to backtrack a couple times and also added a bit on the end. It took me 1:09:xx for the whole ride, but really about 56 min for the 12 miles around the city. Not very fast, but I was riding SIL's mountain bike, which is not terribly fast. I don't care, though, because all I was worried about was getting a good workout, and my heart rate monitor said all was well. My ave heart rate was 137 for the ride. I still miss racewalking a lot, though.

Then, my parents decided to take us out to dinner at Chevy's. I am not a chain restaurant person, but I confess a total affinity for their tortilla chips. They are so perfectly thin, light and crunchy. Ahhhhh. I ate a lot. And then Loren ordered fried ice cream, which I adore. I ate a good amount of it.

So, it wasn't the best day. I had fun, though. And I don't feel totally guilty. I am just going to climb right back on the wagon and start over NOW. I can do this. I want to.

No comments: