Saturday, May 22, 2010

why it's really good to have a coach

I could go on about this for a long time, but after several years of self-coaching, I have to say that the alternative is much better (for me anyway). I especially notice it on the bad days, like today. Hey, have a crappy race? The coach is there to help you pick up the pieces, see it for what it is, and move on.

I got a call from my coach just before 1 pm today (Saturday). Keep in mind that he lives in Australia, so there it was just before 5 am (Sunday). OK, now that is serious dedication! He had read my sorry race report and was calling to help me see what was really going on.

I have had a really challenging week of workouts: 20K moderate-moderately hard on Sunday, 5x1K hard at the track Tuesday, 15K moderate-moderately hard on Wed, 8K fartlek Thurs, and 10K race Saturday. Add in a bunch of weight training and some cross-training, 3 days at work, dealing with 2 small children, teaching piano lessons, and trying to keep everyone eating and wearing clean clothes, and that's a lot. Plus the husband has something nasty which I may or may not be coming down with.

So, the smart coach has me look at my splits. I did 5K in 29:46. If I'd only been doing 5K I'd have gone faster, even feeling as I did today, which would most likely put me faster than my fastest 5K this year, even feeling crappy like I am today. Translate that to a non-crappy day, and I could have come in under 29 for the 5K and been close to a PB. If I had a good day, I could have done about 29 for 5K and at worst another 29:30 or 30 for the 10K, putting me at 58:30-59:00, which would be stellar (for me, not for an elite!).

Looking at the last half of my race, it's clear that I just ran out of gas (carbs). The biggest clue is that after a while my heart rate went down, despite my continuing hard effort. Why did this happen? Probably because I was overworked, tired, and possibly under the weather physically from incipient illness (this last still to be determined, but let's just say that I have pretty much been a couch potato the rest of the day because I'm too tired to move).

So, why do I love having a coach?
1. More hard workouts to push me.
2. Personal feedback re: injury from a smart guy who knows his stuff.
3. Encouragement when I have a bad workout or race.
4. Enforced x-training (on my own I didn't do this very well) and easy weeks (I never gave them to myself). Both are necessary.
5. Cultural exchange/humor and the chance to chat about all things racewalking with someone knowledgeable (let's face it, there aren't many people to discuss this with in Utah!).
6. Great info about stretching, core work, strength training, etc.
7. Technique analysis is still possible even from a distance...the magic of video :).

So, what are you waiting for? Get yourself a coach if you don't have one; I know that Jim is taking new clients. Enough said!

3 comments:

Harriet said...

Glad it is working for you. :-) But coaching only works when one has the discipline to do what the coach says.

Personally, I get too distracted..."oh...that race...sounds like fun...I'll do it!" and lack the discipline to stick to a long range plan.

Tammy said...

Ollie - LOL about your reasons for not having a coach :).

Steve - yes, he is very knowledgeable and also respects you no matter how fast or slow you are. He has coached elites but never shows a lack of respect for my comparatively slower times, and is always encouraging. Very nice guy.

Hunca Munca said...

Oh, Tammy - I'm so sorry it was not the race you had hoped for. :-( I was thinking about you this morning and wondering how it went. What a bummer, but as you said - I know you are still thankful to be healthy enough to keep racing. Glad you are getting such good encouragement - your coach sounds like a true find. Your coughing spell after the race does sound like increased reactivity of your airways, which often happens in response to a virus (or cold weather but I know you don't usually have a problem w/that). Rest well and buff up that immune system with some good yogurt and berries or something. Am proud of you for hanging in there when it hurt!!!