Friday, May 21, 2010

cross-training; race prep; funny

Today I was to do some cross-training. I opted for 30 min on the elliptical...normally I might x-train longer, but I was pressed for time, AND still hurting a little (muscular aches) from the hard week. My right foot bothered me a little from 20-30 min, which is disturbing because I like the elliptical the most of my cross-training options. Actually, the foot has hurt on the bike too (while spinning), which isn't great either. I might have to swim, which sadly, still doesn't excite me that much. But whatever it takes, I suppose.

I'm trying to get mentally psyched for a hard 10K tomorrow. I don't know why, but that distance is difficult for me. You have to go almost as hard as a 5K, but for twice as long. It's just pretty brutal. On the other hand, I really want to see where I'm at, and hopefully will have a good race, so I'm looking forward to it in that regard. I was chatting w/my coach on Facebook yesterday about the race, and I said I'd imagine him there rooting for me. That turned out to be a poor choice of words. Totally innocuous in American English, but very bad in Australian English. Rooting means having sex in Australia...oops! Fortunately he knew what I meant, but still...I was embarrassed. So then he told me about another word just like that - "fanny pack" is a harmless enough word in the US, but in Australia "fanny" refers to female anatomy, and not the behind. So, be careful when you speak with your Aussie friends :). It was good for a laugh anyway.

3 comments:

Hunca Munca said...

ha ha ha ha ha! That is funny - I did not know that "rooting" meant that! I did know about "fanny", because when my parents traveled to South Africa they kept referring to their "fanny packs" in public and getting shushed/corrected by their tour guides. :-) Good luck with the foot, and hope the 10K is great tomorrow.

Harriet said...

Good luck with the race.

I am not dong a 5K here but instead will go longer and more gentle.

BTW, I had a celestial navigation instructor from the Royal Navy; he wanted a very sturdy eraser for his navigation charts. So he as the clerk for the "largest, strongest rubber that she had.". :-)

Tammy said...

Ollie - that is hilarious about the Royal Navy guy & the eraser!!!! LOL!!! Nice to remember that those errors go both ways.