Friday, May 28, 2010

more cross-training

This being my easy week, there was more cross-training today. Too bad I haven't been able to enjoy the easy week more, with my toe surgery and all. The next three weeks are going to be very intense training; I hope I'm up to it. I'm still not really used to 3 days of hard training PLUS a long day, and also not used to my long days being relatively fast (6:30/km vs 7:00/km). But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

Today I did 35 min on the bike and 30 min on the elliptical. Usually on MWF I also do at least 4 good supersets of weight training, but today I got up late and so I just did a few exercises for my legs. I did one-legged squats, with the rear leg on the exercise ball (these are difficult, and good for my foot too, as they require lots of balancing), one-legged VMO squats (to train the vastus medialus - part of the quadriceps), sideways walks with a resistance band (for gluteus medius), and asymmetric squats with 30 lb weight in one hand (for core and glutes). Last I did a bunch of core exercises with Lisa and stretched everything out thoroughly.

Tomorrow I'm doing a 10K race with my friend Sarah, but I will be doing it as a kickdown workout rather than racing it. I sort of wish I was racing it, because I feel like I have a mental block after last week's race. I promised my coach I wouldn't think about it any more (and I'm really not!), but when I think of the 10K distance I just feel dread inside. Kind of hard to not think of the 10K distance when you're doing a 10K the next day ;).

No comments: