Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rest day

I'm taking a rest day today. Not because I feel like I need it physically; I feel totally fine. I'm slightly sore from yesterday's weight training in my back (from the rowing machine) and hips (from the ball exercise I think), but it's pretty unremarkable. I just needed a mental break. There was a little lure from the pool this morning, as my masters' swim class is meeting in the 50m pool this morning and this was a good chance to join them, but I was just not in the mood to swim. I wanted to be unhurried, get to work early, and not stress. So I slept in until 6:30 or so (woke at 6 and dozed on & off), did some laundry, and got ready for work. Arrived at work early and had a good morning doing plastic sections of zebrafish & attending a dissertation defense. Now I'm avoiding the post-dissertation defense party, because the food will be too tempting.

Speaking of food, I had 2 really good weeks and felt great, and even lost a couple lbs. Then came this week. The stress of thinking I was injured became an excuse to overeat. I'm sure some of it is water weight, but I'm up a few lbs again :(. Trying to have a good day today & tomorrow and redeem the week, but a bit nervous because I'm going to a goodbye party for a friend at a restaurant on Friday night. Ugh...could be challenging and I'm not sure I'm up to it.

My coach says I don't need to lose any weight, and I think he's a bit concerned that I will go crazy and lose too much (really, I doubt that is possible...I'm not that disciplined!). He's right that I don't really need to lose weight, but I do have these pants I really want to fit into (I was wearing them last fall), and I know I can if I just lose a few more lbs. I know, that's pretty silly, but it is what it is. I know I can race strong at this weight or at 5 lbs lighter; have had good races in this weight vicinity, so either way will be OK for my racewalking. But for some reason I just feel more in control and happier when I'm a few lbs less. I'm not going to torture myself like a dog over this, but I would just like to be more in control over my night-time eating. I'm sure if I get a handle on that then the lbs will come off.

OK, time to clock back in and finish my work for the day.

No comments: