Sunday, May 16, 2010

Saturday cross-training

I thought about swimming, but wasn't sure I was up to the 1.5-hr masters' workout. And I wasn't in the mood to get wet. So, I opted for a spinning class (the weather was great but later that day I had other stuff to do, so an outdoor ride wasn't going to work) for 1 hr 20 min. It was a good, hard workout. One interval set was particularly intense; the instructor said that we should be sure to go anaerobic. Oh, yay! So I pushed hard and got my HR in the low 160s for several hard intervals. I'm still not a huge stationary bike fan, but spinning beats doing it alone. I like the video bikes, too, but the company in the class is good.

Following the spinning class there's a Pilates class. My coach says I should start doing it 2-3x/wk, so I thought I should take a class. It was pretty tough on the legs after the spinning. Yes, Pilates is core work, but we did a bunch of stuff on the exercise ball that did involve some leg stuff, and it was hard. I liked the emphasis on balance and on strength, and am motivated to try some mat Pilates at home now. The class went 45 min, and that was about right for this beginner.

I felt pretty worked when I left the gym. Mission accomplished.

No comments: