Thursday, May 20, 2010

8K fartlek

I have to be more careful with what I eat.

Yesterday, I ate the following: Kashi GoLean Crunch (1c) with 1/2c vanilla soy milk and 1/2c mixed berries (breakfast). For lunch, 1 vegan tamale, green salad with mushrooms, carrots, & artichoke hearts with some spray balsamic vinaigrette, and a few slices of watermelon. Snack: about 50 goldfish crackers (here's the problem...I cannot eat these because they have cheese/milk...but I give them to the kids and then have some), Fiber One oats & chocolate bar. Dinner: brown rice (1/2c) with 2c spinach/lentil/carrot/misc soup (a friend made it, so not 100% sure what else was in there, but no dairy), 1 piece whole wheat pita with about 3-4T hummus. Dessert: 1 pumpkin chocolate chip cookie (med-size), and 1/3 ginger molasses cookie (large).

Total points - about 4 for breakfast, 5 for lunch, 5 for snack, 10 for dinner, and 4 for dessert; 28 points total, but also earned 14 activity points for my 15K plus weight training. The total was not the problem. That was a reasonable amount to eat given my activity level. The problem was my choice of goldfish crackers (dubious at best) and the chocolate chip cookie (probably OK, but maybe questionable). I KNOW that dairy gives me GI problems...yet I keep eating it before hard workouts. Dumb! Must STOP! (But also...I'm wondering if there is something else I'm missing that is problematic, because sometimes I have trouble when I don't remember eating lactose-containing food; I posted the rest of the food in case someone can help me troubleshoot this).

This morning my intestines were not happy even before my workout. But I did actually (surprisingly) feel OK through 9km (I added a 2K w/u and 2K c/d so total workout was 12K). However, at 9 km, I suddenly HAD TO STOP. Good thing I was near a bathroom. I only had one more 500m hard, but there was no way I was going to make it! I did feel better after stopping (have been fine since), but my legs got a bit jello-like and that last 500m wasn't my best effort (nor the one before it). I tried hard...but didn't have it.

I did 1K hard followed by 7x(500m medium, 500m hard). Most of my times for the 500s were 2:55ish, with one 2:52 and the last two just over 3:00; my first 1K was 5:49 or so (slowish...not sure why). I did remember to eat a banana before I went out, so doubt it was the carbs, but who knows?

My right foot started to hurt about 6.25km, so I stopped to stretch it; stopped again at the bathroom break to stretch for 30 sec, since was already stopped. Now it's still a bit sore, but not too terribly awful. Next week is an "easy" week, so my coach is having me x-train for 4 days to try and get rid of this nagging foot thing. I also scheduled an appt with the podiatrist (well, with his partner...my podiatrist had a bike accident and will be out for several weeks, poor guy) to have my ingrown toenail fixed on Monday morning. UGH, but needs to be done; the infection is gone after my urgent care visit a few wks ago but it is still swollen and painful, especially in the evening & night.

Here's the workout w/splits, elevation, HR, etc. You can see it in metric by clicking "view in metric" link at upper right.


edited to add: My legs were tired and a bit sore when I started today; muscles are just a bit worn-out from the hard training, weights, who-knows-what. Glad that tomorrow is x-training so I get a little break.

No comments: