Thursday, March 26, 2009

slow and snowy

It's weird training in the cold and snow and then doing a race where it was actually hot. Definitely not the best way to do things, but what are you going to do? Actually, I guess more treadmill workouts in some heavier clothing would suffice to get one used to the heat. But I didn't think about it. In any case, I did well and had a new PR, so it's all good.

This morning it was cold (for March, anyway at 31F/-0.5C) and windy. I went out at first in my tights and 2 shirts and a hat, but when I felt the wind I added fleece pants and a jacket. Much better. At my house, which is just shy of 4400 feet in elevation, there was snow on the grass but none on the streets. However, I went uphill today to about 4700 feet, and there was plenty of snow on the road up there. I was struggling a lot to maintain a good toe-off and good speed. It was pretty slippery.

I did a relatively slow 6.52 miles in 1:12:57, for 11:12/mile. My heart rate was 144 ave, which is pretty high for that effort on a normal day, but between the wind and the snow, that's as fast as I was going to be able to go.

I haven't mentioned my IT bands lately, mostly because they have been doing very well (YAY!!!!!). This morning my right hip was sore; it's still bothering me a little. It feels like muscle pain, and I wonder if it is from the weird footing in the snow. Wish I would have worn my Yaktrax. Oh well. I will keep stretching and take my anti-inflammatory and I think I'll be OK. So far it's not anything to worry about; it feels like it's my piriformis muscle, if I had to guess. Oh, and my abs are pretty sore from the exercises I did in weight training yesterday. I did a new exercise on the ball that was really tough, and I'm happily sore now :).

No comments: